Starr Whitehouse, an award-winning landscape architecture and urban planning practice based in New York, NY, with offices in Atlanta, GA and Hudson, NY, seeks a motivated urban designer with 3-5 years of experience for our New York office. Starr Whitehouse’s current projects address climate change, urban design, streets and public spaces, resiliency, park design, open space equity, and multifamily housing. We collaborate with internationally acclaimed architects and engineers and foster a creative, energetic atmosphere that is challenging to team members and attentive to quality of life.
We are looking for an urban designer to work with teams throughout the office to conceptualize urban projects, communicate design ideas visually, verbally, and in writing to a variety of audiences, and organize teams to create project deliverables. This position will involve planning and implementing public engagement strategies for a variety of project types, so familiarity with urban systems, governance, and development processes in New York City is helpful. The designer will periodically support design production for public space, parks, and landscape architecture projects.
- Professional degree in Landscape Architecture or Architecture
- 3-5 years professional experience with design of the urban environment
- Ability to conceptualize projects
- Strong communication and writing ability
- Experience with project management, including project planning and scheduling
- Experience planning and managing project deliverables
- Excellent visual representation and presentation abilities
- 3D modelling and visualization (Rhino, Lumion, Grasshopper)
- Experience with ArcPro / ArcGIS
- Experience with design production (AutoCAD)
- Graphic visualization (proficient in Adobe Creative Suite)
- Familiarity with sustainable and resilience design principles and related analytic tools.
- We’re interested in hearing about what you’ve developed a specialization or passion for such as sustainable design (i.e. climate modelling tools such as Ladybug), resilience planning, community engagement (i.e. participatory tools, facilitation, and public speaking), or mapping and data analysis.
- We welcome multi-linguists and always have a need for team members who are proficient in languages commonly spoken in New York City neighborhoods such as Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, Urdu, and Russian, to name a few.
This is a full-time, in-office position, with an option for some remote working days. Estimated salary range is $75,000 to $90,000 based on ability and relevant work experience. Offered benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k), commuter benefits, and paid holidays. Starr Whitehouse is an equal opportunity employer and invested in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Please apply with your resume, a cover letter, portfolio of work under 10mb, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Urban Designer_Name” in the subject line.