At SOM, we are a collective committed to shaping a better future for our clients, communities and planet. We aspire to create the most sustainable, impactful work through creative, interdisciplinary teams with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. We value those who are passionate about excellence, innovation, integrity, inclusivity, and collaboration. Together we can achieve great things.
Success at SOM Means
- Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the firm.
- Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
- Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work.
- Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the firm.
- Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
- Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work.
The Technical Designer is responsible for the technical innovation, integration, documentation, and execution of the architectural and engineering design intent in conformance with the established scope of work, program, and budget objectives. Together with the Senior Designer, Project Manager, and/or Project Architect, the Technical Designer is the day-to-day co-leader of the project in all project phases, with significant responsibilities in the Design Development through Construction Administration phases. The Technical Designer leads code review and analysis, material and systems research, specifications coordination, and construction documentation. They manage quality control procedures and timely reviews through all phases of the project.
- Contributes to the technical resolution and innovation(s) and furthers the development of architectural projects through all phases that are consistent with the scope of work and goals of the firm. Integrates criteria and input from all disciplines into design solutions.
- Communicates and maintains standards of quality for documentation products for the full internal and external team. Leads the implementation of the Quality Management System for assigned projects.
- Leads the research, review, and analysis of applicable codes. Provides code parameters and restrictions early in the design process.
- Proposes and assesses construction and building systems.
- Where a Project Architect is not present, collaborates with the SOM High Performance Design Group in tracking energy, water, and carbon use intensities on a project and provides documentation for AIA 2030 reporting.
- Leads design and construction documentation including but not limited to vignettes, animations, drawings and specifications. Construction documentation should be consistent with firm standards for the publication and presentation of work.
- Develops, coordinates, and reviews the technical specifications for the project.
- Fosters positive relationships with clients and the design community.
- Remains committed to working within the established project budgets and schedules.
- When required, works with the Digital Design Coordinator to implement the computer management program for the project.
- Leads the team’s construction phase services scope including making periodic site visits to monitor construction progress and identifying areas needing correction and/or modification; attending visual and performance mockup review; and reviewing shop drawings for design intent.
- Participates in the interview and selection process of contractors, where appropriate.
- Attends and presents in owner/architect design meetings and owner/architect/contractor meetings. Reviews and approves meeting minutes.
- Attends and facilitates weekly internal project team meetings.
- Actively participates in local and firm-wide Technical Meetings and makes meaningful contributions to the advancement of activities led by these groups.
- Actively leads a project team.
- Directly supervises, trains, and mentors team members.
- Engages in talent strategy to find specialists, leaders, and future professionals for the firm through resume review and interviews.
- Demonstrates leadership in the implementation of sustainable strategies in all project assignments and the associated development of staff knowledge.
- Creates and drives new ways of working through contributing to the development of services, standards, procedures based in an understanding of the business principles that protect SOM from financial and legal risk.
- Completion of a professional degree in Architecture or a related field.
- Licensed in Architecture; LEED or other green building accreditation preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of experience or equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- General understanding of sustainable strategies and principles including familiarity with LEED or other green building rating systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino, parametric and rendering software, Adobe Suite, and Google Workspace.
Are you ready to join a team of creative professionals working on transformational projects around the world? Take advantage of this exciting opportunity to build a better future with SOM.
Health and Wellness: Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life & accident insurance.
Savings: 401K matching, pre-tax spending accounts, and employee discount programs.
Work/Life Balance: Hybrid/Flexible schedules, paid family leave, paid vacation, backup child and elder care, and an employee assistance program.
Professional Development: Reimbursement for professional licenses, associated renewals, and exam fees as well as specialized in-house career development.
Compensation for this role is based upon experience, qualifications, location, and education and typically ranges from $100,000 – $130,000.
Our creative, interdisciplinary teams work like small, dynamic studios, with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. Here, you’ll collaborate with industry experts on some of the most exciting and transformative architecture, engineering, and planning projects in the world.
We believe an inclusive environment improves our teams, our firm, and our communities and are passionate about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Our DEI Action Plan was created to bring meaningful change to our profession, starting with our own culture and practices.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM’s employment policy as well as additional information such as a privacy notice for California residents and how to apply offline.
Please submit your application through the link below:
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.