About Common Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 6 cities, and over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Designer, Interiors (Contract) to join our Design Studio to create homes for residential living. The position will require the candidate to provide interior design services to our partners through concept boards, technical drawings, FF&E, and finish specifications. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in an evolving, fast-paced startup environment. This is a temporary contract position with the potential to turn into a full time position for the right candidate.
- Design and produce compelling interior concepts that are in line with Common brand standards for review of Design Managers, Director and Clients
- Work closely with Design Managers to ensure project design intent is on brand and follows architectural best practices
- Production and management of design deliverables: interior design drawing sets, concept boards, design presentations, specifications, construction administration and FF&E design/selections
- Understanding of space planning as well as all phases of the construction/design process
- Must be familiar and able to contribute to all areas of design production, from concept to construction administration
- Must be able to participate in the selection and sourcing of finishes, furniture and fixtures
- Lead FF&E design/selections, create finish plans, furniture plans, material specifications/selections required for the development of each project
- Support Senior Designers with Interior architectural documentation, 3-D modeling and renderings
- Sharp eye for interior design and finishes required
- Experience and familiarity with FF&E, finishes, materials and fixtures
- Candidate must be detail-oriented and comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative and analytical reasoning
- Candidates must be very organized and be able to multitask across a large number of projects
- A self starter who is able to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing and implementing best practices
- Quick adaptation to an expanding variety of platforms, apps, and workflows in a fast-paced startup environment required
- Candidate must be a direct and proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed
- Bachelor of Architecture/Interior Design, Master’s Degree in Architecture/Interior Design or Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) required
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in an architecture/interior design firm required
- Must have prior experience with FF&E design/selection
- Interior styling experience is required
- Hospitality design or residential design experience is a plus
- Proficiency in Revit, Autocad, G-Suite, Excel, Photoshop, and InDesign is required.
- Enscape experience is a plus
- New York based candidates are preferred
What We Offer
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
To apply, please send your resume and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Designer, Interiors (Contract) – Application”.