Requisition Id 11441
ORNL is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science national laboratory, with an extraordinary 80-year history of solving the nation’s biggest problems. We have a dedicated and creative staff of over 6,200 people! ORNL’s decadal vision for diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) is to cultivate an environment and practices that foster diversity in ideas and in the people across the organization, as well as to ensure ORNL is recognized as a workplace of choice. These elements are critical for enabling the execution of ORNL’s broader mission to accelerate scientific discoveries and their translation into energy, environment, and security solutions for the nation. Come join us and help solve the world’s most challenging energy problems!
We are seeking a registered Architect who will provide architectural leadership to support the Conventional Facilities of the Second Target Station (STS) project by effectively implementing and supervising the architectural design, build, and commissioning of the STS facilities. The Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) facility at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) initially included a First Target Station (FTS) with 24 neutron instrument beamlines. The SNS Campus Master Plan included provision for a STS and was developed to accommodate growth and expansion of the accelerator facilities, target facilities, instrument buildings, laboratories, offices, and secondary supporting facilities. The STS project will fulfill the original master plan through the construction of 3 large new building structures encompassing approximately 275k gsf. The Architect will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team and provide architectural leadership for the CF Manager, CF Project Managers, and CF Engineering Team to ensure that the STS facility designs conform to ORNL requirements, project requirements and budget constraints, accurately incorporate critical system interfaces, and meets ORNL expectations for safety and quality.
On our team, you will…
- Collaborate with the project technical systems teams, AE design firm, ORNL support organizations, and the broader CF team of Construction Management/General Contractors (CM/GC), Estimators, and Commissioning consultants to develop accurate and precise designs.
- Provide architectural leadership in direction and review of STS project AE teams design, selection, coordination, and detailing of architectural materials and systems, and specifications.
- Provide architectural design requirements for project work/execution plans, Building Information Modeling (BIM) requirements, and other required project plans to ensure deliverables are designed to meet project requirements.
- Represent the STS Project by participating in and presenting project information at reviews, conferences, and workshops.
- Develop and implement safe design and construction principles to ensure the facility is constructed safely and can be operated within a safe environment.
- Inspect construction work for compliance with design requirements using field verifications and quality assurance reviews.
- Develop design addendums, responses to construction RFIs, and review and approve construction submittals.
- Provide Modeling and CAD expertise in support of the following activities:
- Work in the REVIT model to produce plans, elevations, and sections for internal project use.
- Development of alternative design concepts.
- Support the CF team in the development of graphics and materials for project reviews and presentations.
- Assist engineers in the creation of 2D drawings and details.
- Participate in project BIM meetings and reviews.
- Work with project technical systems teams, the AE design team, and the CM/GC team to resolve clashes and conflicts.
- Assist in the content review of project estimates and deliver project milestones based on CF work plans.
- Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of ORNL values and ethics.
- Deliver ORNL’s mission by aligning behaviors, priorities, and interactions with our core values of Impact, Integrity, Teamwork, Safety, and Service. Promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility by fostering a respectful workplace – in how we treat one another, work together, and measure success.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture from an NAAB accredited program required and a minimum of ten years of related professional experience with a NCARB registration.
- Proficiency in Revit, Navisworks, Bluebeam, and Microsoft Office.
- Strong technical, written, communication skills are required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work collaboratively with AE firms, CM/GC’s, project managers, and fellow team members.
- Knowledgeable of national codes and standards (IBC, NFPA, etc.) applicable to building and life safety design.
- Must be available for some domestic and international travel.
- Master of Architecture from an accredited program.
- Experience with government design and construction projects.
Please submit two letters of reference when applying to this position. You may upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience.
Other benefits include the following: Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Contributory Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Disability Benefits, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
For Hybrid eligible positions:
In addition, we offer a flexible work environment that supports both the organization and the employee. A hybrid/onsite working arrangement may be available with this position.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Apply Here: https://jobs.ornl.gov/job-invi…