SMITH & ARCHITECTS is an activist architectural practice that empowers people, businesses and communities through analytical, crafted and groundbreaking design. Our firm is designing commissions for institutional, commercial, and residential clients across the world.
Our office is seeking candidates for the position of Senior Designer (5-7 years office experience).
- Manage projects from Schematic Design through Construction Documentation, creating and delivering projects on schedule milestones.
- Manage Construction Administration of projects
- Create and develop design concepts
- Physical and digital modeling and drawing of design concepts
- Create details from design concepts
- Experience managing projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients and solve problems with only minimal supervision.
- Undergraduate degree from an architectural program.
- Proficiency in Autocad and 3D modeling programs (Rhino preferred)
- Proficiency in Adobe CS suite, MS Word, Excel, and MS Project
- Excellent physical modeling skills
- Experience creating construction documentation, including details of designs
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, detailed resume, and at least four work samples (professional work preferred, with descriptions of job duties for each project) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Smith & Architects
We create places for “making” – be that to make a living, a cultural artifact or a habitat. To achieve this, our design approach is to align architectural expression with the end-user experience. We believe this is the fundamental spatial condition for causing communities. Rather than specializing in a building style or program type, we start every project by asking: what is the community that this building or program is trying to cause? We have used this approach effectively with many different project types, including educational, arts and culture, commercial and retail projects. In a culture that is increasingly mediated and dispersed, we connect people through what we build. While this connection begins with the design and construction process, the end goal is to cause communities.
Causing communities is our way of expressing the belief that our generation of designers will succeed not through radical form-making but through a radical rethinking of community and how it can advance the human condition. This will be the primary driver for 21st Century design leaders.
Our work environment is highly creative and requires collaborative thinkers who take the initiative. The right candidate is committed to excellence in the design and construction process. They are powerful time managers, effective communicators, accountable, capable detailers, and initiate their contributions to the design and documentation process.