At Rockstar Games, we create the games we would want to play ourselves.
A career at Rockstar is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding, large-scale projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar San Diego is on the lookout for talented Visual Development Artists who possess a passion for environmental design (e.g. landscape design, architecture, urban design, or interior design). This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s studio in Carlsbad. Whether it’s beach or mountains, San Diego has it all and is considered one of the best places to live year-round.
Join our team to create next-generation worlds for some exciting upcoming projects! Candidates must be able to design beautiful, immersive, and believable environments that work within the restraints of the medium.
WHAT WE DO
- We are the game development equivalent of landscape architects, architects, urban designers and interior designers.
- We design layouts and locations for the environments of our game worlds.
- What we do is fundamental to the player’s experience. They inhabit the world we design, move through our spaces, take cover behind our walls, feel ownership over safe houses.
- We are designing spatial experiences. It’s not just how a single room looks from a single angle; it’s how it feels to move from one space to another. We create mystery, order, chaos, and anything in-between.
- Visual storytelling is as important in video games as it is in film. We create, visually, the story of the world.
- Create high quality spatial designs for environments using 3D sketch models and/or 2D paintovers.
- Be able to take a basic brief and flesh it out with own research.
- Create reference boards for artists as required.
- Pursue a high quality of both aesthetics and visual storytelling.
- Work closely with 3D artists with the final product in mind, both getting and giving feedback.
- Proactively seek feedback from Leads and Creative Directors.
- Proactively keep Leads and Creative Directors informed of progress and developments.
- Participate in R&D, problem solving spatial and artistic solutions to technical problems.
- Work with flair within the restraints of the medium.
- Actively pursue knowledge of the medium – what works, what doesn’t, and what we can do about it.
- A degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture, Urban Design, Interior Design or similar, or the equivalent industry experience in a design related role.
- For junior candidates we will consider applicants with no industry experience if their portfolio is of a very high standard.
- For experienced candidates we are looking for 2+ years of post-secondary educational experience.
- Excellent design skills.
- All-around artistic expertise and flair.
- Strong traditional art skills including knowledge of composition, layout, lighting, colour theory and visual storytelling.
- The technical ability to grasp new programs and systems quickly.
- An interest in learning to understand and work within the restraints of the medium.
- Ability to work with a high degree of self-direction and motivation.
- Comfortable working in a team setting, under deadlines and time constraints.
- Familiarity with 3ds Max (or similar) and Photoshop.
- Strong communication and time management skills.
- Able to prioritize and multi-task.
- Creative nature with strong problem-solving skills.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Passion for Games and how spatial and environment design concept apply to the medium is highly desirable.
- Games background/Experience of games pipeline
- Eagerness to learn and upskill – we are open to applicants who do not possess a background in games and can provide training where relevant.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply through the link below with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.