WHO WE ARE
Laney LA is a multidisciplinary architecture studio dedicated to collaborative craft and timeless design. The studio seeks to create work that speaks powerfully – sparking a dialogue between enduring architecture and its evolving environment. Moreover, as a place where diverse minds gather, Laney LA is committed to fostering both critical discourse and a vibrant culture. With specialties in residential, commercial, and interior architecture, the studio has created a unique architectural process – one rooted in both experience and meaning.
The four essential responsibilities of this role are the following:
1. Technical Architecture
- The Technical Architect is an experienced, specialist role whose singular passion is to help others get unblocked on technical topics. While not a manager of a specific team, this role is designed to be a key, strategic resource to the entire architectural studio.
- Reporting to the Studio Director, the Technical Architect is an in-house, subject matter expert for architectural tectonics, detailing, assemblies, and solving complex challenges.
2. Code Compliance
- The Technical Architect must be deeply familiar with California building code and experienced in navigating the coastal zones specifically
- The Technical Architect must ensure code compliance and help teams predict and navigate code-related challenges
- The Technical Architect is responsible for ensuring a high standard of excellence regarding the constructability of all architectural sets. This will require formal and informal reviews at specific architectural phases as well as throughout construction administration
4. Construction Administration Oversight
- The Technical Architect is responsible for making sure all projects are “on track” during the construction administration phase and that design intent is preserved.
- The Technical Architect must effortlessly speak the language of project management and construction.
- The Technical Architect must ensure that contractors are satisfied through artful listening, timely and professional communication, and prioritized coordination and oversight.
We believe that a cultural fit is the highest priority. Therefore, we have outlined several items that define our studio culture.
Laney LA shares the following five core values.
- Designer’s Passion: We demand creative energy in all ventures
- Servant’s Heart: We embrace the art of service
- Rookie’s Advantage: We pursue a steep learning curve
- Detective’s Curiosity: We demonstrate active listening
- Warrior’s Spirit: We overcome obstacles with bravery
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- 15+ years of experience in residential and commercial architecture, with a strong technical background
- Proficiency with BIM/CAD Software – ArchiCAD preferred
- Licensed architect
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in architecture
- Excellent technical knowledge & experience coordinating consultants
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge and experience in all phases of architectural projects
- Strong leadership and self-motivation
- Excellent delegation skills
- Highly skilled technically
- Experience with reviewing highly complex drawings sets
- Punctual & organized
- Knowledge of California Building Codes
- Competitive salary
- Health & dental benefits
- 401(K) Plan with 4% match
- Paid vacation & holidays
- Sick leave
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
How To Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and relevant work samples as PDF attachments to email@example.com with the specific job title in the subject line. Limit file sizes to 10MB.