SUMMER DESIGN INTERNS
About Stayner Architects
Stayner Architects is a 8-person practice located in the Echo Park neighborhood of Los Angeles and is led by principal Christian Stayner, AIA. Our portfolio spans building typologies. There are four specific research projects in the studio that inform many of our projects: The Future of Food, Mass Plywood Panel, Houses on Hillsides, and Community Engagement. Our clients are generally in higher education, nonprofit public-benefit organizations (such as schools, arts organizations, and social service providers), housing developers, and private businesses. Like many practices, we can boast of being award-winning and design-focused. Our firm also collaborates on national cultural projects as B-arn-S with Studio Barnes in Miami and MALL in Portland, OR.
About the role
- This is a summer internship that provides challenging, design work at a schematic level.
- We’re not expecting that you have previous architecture work experience, but we are expecting excellent design abilities at initial schematic design.
- You will be working on design iterations, massings, developing plans/sections/elevations, coordinating with rendering consultants, making diagrams, and similar schematic design activities.
We are located in the Echo Park neighborhood of Los Angeles, near to Downtown Los Angeles and in the shadow of Dodger Stadium. However, we are willing to consider remote employment.
We operate on an alternating Friday-off schedule, usually beginning around 8-9am and ending the day around 6-7pm, subject to deadlines.
This is an at-will, exempt position for a ten-week term. As such, it does not have eligibility for health insurance, retirement plan, vacation days, or other benefits. Salary is paid by EFT on alternating Fridays. The salary is $1,250 per week (gross).
You will be tasked with producing materials under the supervision of the principal and other staff, working both in a team environment and independently.
You are a talented designer with an eye for form, material, color, texture, and composition.
- Proficiency in Rhino3D and Adobe Suite. Revit may be helpful but is not required.
- Abilities in graphic design and publication layout are great.
- Physical model-making experience.
- Good communication skills, both visual and oral.
We want to be transparent about our hiring practice. We anticipate that
- Application: Please send us an application consisting of a cover letter, your resume, and a brief portfolio (less than 15MB). Please email this as a single PDF before April 26th to: email@example.com
- First Interview: We expect to conduct first-round phone interviews between April 24-26.
- Second Interview: We will conduct a second interview with a few candidates by Zoom. During this time we will ask for a few references.
- Reference Check: We will contact a few of your references.
- Offer: We will provide you with an offer and discuss the schedule. We would like for the position to begin early- to mid-May, but we are fairly flexible.
Other things to consider
- In order to be considered for employment, all applicants must show proof of US citizenship or authorization to work in the United States.
- This position is a full-time exempt position and employment is at-will. As an LGBT-led practice, Stayner Architects and its associated entities are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Ordinance No. 184652 and the California Fair Chance Act (AB-1008).
Please send us an application consisting of a cover letter, your resume, and a brief portfolio (less than 15MB). Please email this as a single PDF before April 26th to: firstname.lastname@example.org