At SOM, we are a collective committed to shaping a better future for our clients, communities and planet. We aspire to create the most sustainable, impactful work through creative, interdisciplinary teams with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. We value those who are passionate about excellence, innovation, integrity, inclusivity, and collaboration. Together we can achieve great things.
Success at SOM Means
- Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the firm.
- Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
- Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work.
- Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the firm.
- Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
- Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work.
- Leads the Architectural Project Team through close collaboration with SOM Partners project leadership to achieve design, technical and financial success.
- Prepares, with Leadership input, quality agreements with clients including letters of intent, memoranda of understanding, and professional service agreements. Executes additional service agreements and gains authorization by phase.
- Collaborates with Partners and senior team to prepare, issue, and manage compliance plans to align project goals including budget, deliverables and schedule. Gains agreement with the senior team for labor allocation. Chairs weekly team meetings to address variances from the project plan.
- Administers internal control procedures with Project Accountant including billing, collections, percent complete, expense management, and year-end activities. Analyzes project reports and proactively manages the profitability of a project.
- Participates actively in project design and technical discussions and decision making.
- Communicates actively through chairing weekly meetings, issuing meeting minutes, accurate project record keeping and sharing project information and correspondence.
- Assists in Managing the owner/client relationship and expectations to allow SOM and team to work effectively, efficiently and collaboratively.
- Participates in new business and marketing efforts including responses to marketing requests and maintenance of firm relationships.
- Initiates, monitors and maintains project schedule and work plan including schedule of meetings and presentations.
- Schedules and leads internal team weekly project meetings; develops the meeting agenda and project status update.
- Initiates, monitors and maintains project plan and financial performance of project.
- Initiates and maintains SOM-Client Services Agreement, SOM Sub-Consultant Agreements and requests for additional services.
- Monitors scope for contract compliance and potential additional services.
- Actively engages in project risk management through close collaboration with SOM Partners and legal group.
- Seeks to monitor scope for contract compliance and potential additional services.
- Manages time and workload of own work efforts and those of others to meet project task deadlines and commitments, with occasional interaction and direction from team leaders while guiding and teaching le ss experienced staff.
- Inspires and leads others by example, participates in staff mentoring and training, clearly defines team member expectations and responsibilities, empowers others, and delegates where appropriate based on team members’ recognized abilities and potential.
- Directly supervises staff and is committed to direct reports’ professional development.
- Develops and engages in talent strategy to find specialists, leaders, and future professionals for the firm through resume review and interviews.
- In collaboration with team members, contributes to a clear and consistent work plan to achieve the project budget, deliverables, and schedule.
- Actively engages in internal professional development opportunities.
- Contributes to the implementation of sustainable strategies in all project assignments and the associated development of staff knowledge.
- Contributes to the development of standards, policies, and procedures.
- Protects SOM from financial and legal risk.
- Professional degree in Architecture.
- Minimum 6 years of experience or equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Professional licensure process is close to completion; LEED accreditation preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead project teams and manage project schedule, budget and program.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- General understanding of sustainable strategies and principles including familiarity with LEED or other green building rating systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Understands and is conversant in Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino, parametric and rendering software, and other graphic software.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Smartsheets, Google Workspace, Adobe Suite.
- Familiarity with Deltek Vision, Salesforce, Smartsheet.
Are you ready to join a team of creative professionals working on transformational projects around the world? Take advantage of this exciting opportunity to build a better future with SOM.
Our Benefits: Health and Wellness: Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life & accident insurance Savings: 401K matching, pre-tax spending accounts, and employee discount programs Work/Life Balance: Hybrid/Flexible schedules, paid family leave, paid vacation, backup child and elder care, and an employee assistance program Professional Development: Reimbursement for professional licenses, associated renewals, and exam fees as well as specialized in-house career development
Compensation for this role is based upon experience, qualifications, location, and education and typically ranges from $90,000 – $110,000.
Our creative, interdisciplinary teams work like small, dynamic studios, with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. Here, you’ll collaborate with industry experts on some of the most exciting and transformative architecture, engineering, and planning projects in the world.
We believe an inclusive environment improves our teams, our firm, and our communities and are passionate about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Our DEI Action Plan was created to bring meaningful change to our profession, starting with our own culture and practices.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. [Visit this page] to learn more about SOM’s employment policy as well as additional information such as a privacy notice for California residents and how to apply offline.
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.
Please apply here: