At SOM, we are a collective committed to shaping a better future for our clients, communities and planet. We aspire to create the most sustainable, impactful work through creative, interdisciplinary teams with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. We value those who are passionate about excellence, innovation, integrity, inclusivity, and collaboration. Together we can achieve great things.
Success at SOM Means
- Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the firm.
- Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
- Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work.
- Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the firm.
- Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
- Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work.
The Workplace Designer Strategist is a senior leader who possesses outstanding client relationships, project leadership and communication skills. The Workplace Design Strategist provides information to clients to make better decisions about how they support their people, position their businesses and manage their assets. The information includes, but is not limited to, strategic planning, real estate and portfolio analysis, repositioning/relocation analysis, user analysis, change management and data management. The Design Strategist addresses real estate and facilities, the workplace, information solutions and business strategy to align with the client’s business goals and to improve performance.
The Design Strategist will work in a fast-paced, dynamic, open, collaborative environment and is able to lead multiple projects simultaneously; has an entrepreneurial approach to the business while able to work collaboratively across disciplines and is a creative thinker who enjoys mapping our project processes to solve client problems as well as developing relationships.
Business Development, Marketing and Communication
- Guide and direct the members of the interiors practice team in the development, production, promotion, and marketing of SOM’s functional markets and service to implement the strategic growth model of the practice.
- Based on the strategic growth model, direct the business development strategy including market research, creating new business development opportunities and actively pursuing leads.
- Participate in new business development activities to insure effective results. Direct the development and implementation of interiors procedures that promote communication and appropriate information flow. Serve as a role model of good communication in all areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrates team and project experience inclusive of managing client relationships, and project teams for small, medium and large-scale corporate, hospitality and/or residential interiors projects.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct, mentor, and coordinate work efforts for the technical, design and/or management aspects of a project team, through all phases of a project, with minimal oversight from Associate Director, Director, Partner.
- Provides technical/design/management input and support for the development of the entire design concept through all phases of the project, under an Associate Director, Director or Partner.
- Collaborative and professional work ethic; leads by example motivating project teams in an inclusive and positive approach.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Interiors and Architecture Industry Best Practices including programming, planning, design, construction documentation and construction administration, as well as consulting engineering engagement and coordination.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of Interior Architecture and Architectural design including workplace planning and design concept development (hospitality and/or residential as applicable), design and detailing standards, building materials, building systems, current and applicable building and fire codes, FF&E, construction techniques and current market cost(s) costing trends.
- Participates in the planning, scheduling, and organization of project plans for design, technical, and/or project management tools/documents relative to project parameters and in collaboration with senior project team leaders.
- Demonstrates leadership in terms of implementing SOM standard procedures and protocols for the technical, design and/or management aspects of a project to assure continuity, coordination and consistency of project documentation across the firm in support of overall office wide goals.
- Proactively checks and coordinates project documents (design phase documents, technical documents and/or project management tools/documents) and is responsible for quality control of such tasks in accordance with SOM’s quality control program.
- Seeks creative and innovative solutions to complex problems and develops appropriate research and documentation to support these solutions.
- Participates in marketing and business development efforts.
- Demonstrates detailed knowledge of local office standards, policies and procedures and can direct others in the use of those resources.
- Actively leads projects, teams and initiatives.
- Directly trains and mentors team members and, more broadly, architectural, engineers, interiors, planning and graphics staff in the office and at large as appropriate.
- Directly supervises staff and is committed to direct reports’ professional development.
- Develops and engages in talent strategy to find specialists, leaders, and future professionals for the firm through recruitment, resume reviews and interviews.
- Actively engages in internal and external professional development opportunities.
- Develops and/or manages, in collaboration with team members, a clear and consistent work plan to achieve the project budget, deliverables, and schedule.
- Demonstrates leadership in the implementation of sustainable strategies in all project assignments and the associated development of staff knowledge.
- Coordinates and supports business development, public relations, and marketing opportunities.
- Leads in the development of standards, policies, and procedures.
- Protects SOM from financial and legal risk.
- Effective at communicating and promoting the work of the firm.
- Professional degree in Architecture and/or Interior Design.
- Licensed in state of practice or must be NCIDQ Certified.
- 10 years of experience or equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
- General understanding of sustainable strategies and principles including familiarity with LEED or other green building rating systems.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead project teams and manage project schedule, budget and program.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite.
- Familiarity with BIM and Revit Tools, and demonstrates practical understanding of the application of digital tools such as Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, Navisworks, Ladybug, Enscape, VR, ADOBE Suite, etc.
- Actively supports compliance with BIM/CAD project standards and procedures.
- LEED accreditation preferred.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM’s employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportu…
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.
To be considered for this position, you must apply on our career portal. Click here to apply.