New York State Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) fosters the creation and preservation of high-quality affordable housing, while working strategically to revitalize neighborhoods and communities throughout the Empire State. Under the leadership of Governor Kathy Hochul and Commissioner RuthAnne Visnauskas, HCR is a vibrant, innovative agency that integrates and leverages New York State’s housing resources. We have offices in New York City, Albany, Buffalo and Syracuse, and employ a diverse workforce of professionals who are hard-working and committed to serving low- and moderate-income families. Our mission is far reaching, encompassing single and multifamily housing finance, home improvement, rent regulation, housing subsidies, and community development. We partner regularly with a variety of public and private stakeholders.
Achieving this mission requires a wide range of skills and backgrounds in public policy, administration, real estate, architecture, finance, law and many other areas of expertise. We seek to provide a workplace environment that is productive, flexible, accountable, ethical and caring. Our employees are empowered to make a difference where they live and work. We offer competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision, retirement and family-friendly policies.
The Office of Multi-family Finance & Development manages HCR’s multi-family and single-family housing programs and bond offerings. HCR has been the most active housing bond issuer in the country over the past four years, funding initiatives ranging in scope from mixed income rental developments to single family mortgages. The Office actively engages with a range of partners including for-profit and not for profit borrowers, municipalities, lenders, investors and other funding entities to leverage the State’s Low Income Housing Tax Credits, tax exempt bonds, single family lending programs, and State funded programs. The Office is also responsible for implementing many of the initiatives under the State’s unprecedented 5-year, $20 billion Homelessness and Housing Plan to create or preserve more than 100,000 affordable homes and 6,000 supportive homes for New Yorkers.
HCR’s Design, Construction & Environmental Unit is responsible for the architectural, environmental, and construction oversight of projects funded through various HCR financing program. This oversight involves environmental and architectural reviews of projects seeking funding from, and subsequently funded by HCR, as well as the implementation of HCR Design Guidelines to ensure affordable housing projects financed by HCR address appropriate standards of safety, functionality, efficiency, and durability. The unit also monitors construction to ensure that all construction schedules and approved plans are properly executed on funded projects. Additionally, the unit provides support to projects who want to make capital improvements within HCR’s Office of Housing Preservation portfolio.
The Senior Architect is responsible for completing objective technical reviews on proposed projects that apply for funding with HCR. The position also involves extensive oversight through construction completion.
- Technical assistance to help improve a proposed project’s viability and cost effectiveness.
- Review of technical design and construction aspects of applications submitted for funding.
- Technical construction document review of projects selected for funding to ensure compliance with applicable building codes, accessibility requirements, Agency sustainability requirements, and Agency design requirements.
- Coordination with other Agency staff to ensure compliance with program requirements.
- Oversight during construction to ensure that all design and construction requirements are met.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive, and employee will also perform reasonable related business duties as assigned. The primary working location will be in Albany or NYC, but occasional travel to other locations in New York State will be required.
- Candidate must be a Registered Architect licensed to practice in New York State.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in building design and construction.
- Demonstrated ability to work with non-technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Familiarity with residential codes and standards is highly preferred.
- The position will require travel to parts of the state on an on-needed basis.
What we offer:
- Extensive benefits package including paid leave, excellent health, dental, vision and retirement benefits;
- Promotional opportunity for dedicated professionals.
Applicants must include resume and cover letter
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)