Hanbury is an Architectural, Planning and Interior Design Firm established in 1979. The firm has experienced sustained growth over the past 4 years and is looking to hire a Senior Architect to join our Richmond office. The primary driver of our success is because we have some of the most talented architects and designers in the nation, and that talent is challenged, motivated and put in a position to contribute their skills and ideas in a forum where they can succeed and fail in a teaching environment. Project leadership with a diversity of design-focused work including higher education, civic/community and science & technology projects is ideal. We offer a great flexible work environment, competitive salaries & benefits, and opportunities for professional and personal growth for every employee. We are committed to impacting our communities, campuses, businesses, our profession and the world in a way that enhances the lives of everyone we design-for and interact with.
As Hanbury has evolved, we’ve concentrated our design focus on several areas that best serve this potential: higher education, science & technology, and civic/community — all with a commitment to the highest and best use of resources and a long-range view of environmental impact.
Hanbury’s Richmond office also known as Hanbury Design Community Laboratory (HDCL) represents a creative collective of empathetic and innovative thinkers with diverse perspectives and skill sets addressing some of the greatest challenges and opportunities of our time. The Senior Architect’s role will be to advance the mission, goals, strategies and core values of the firm and perform the tasks and duties as outlined below.
- Cooperates with Design Principal and Project Manager for delivery of services, consults with the client to ascertain the goals, objectives and spatial requirements of the project, attends project meetings, and communicates with members of the project team. Provides prompt written notice to the Project Manager if any error, omission or inconsistency in services or information is discovered;
- Directs and reviews activities of designers and other staff providing services for the firm, coordinates work with other consultants on the project including usual and customary structural, mechanical, and electrical engineering consultants and consultants provided by the client, assists in documenting and maintaining records for the project;
- Reviews and evaluates the program, schedule, budget, project site, delivery method and other information furnished by the client and the laws, codes, and regulations applicable to the Architect’s services;
- Prepares and presents for the client’s approval at various stages designs, drawings and other documents utilizing computer assisted design software and equipment illustrating the scale and relationship of the project components. Considers environmentally responsible design alternatives, material choices, building orientation, alternative systems and equipment together with program and aesthetics in developing a design that is consistent with the client’s program, schedule and budget;
- Prepares Construction Documents for the client’s approval illustrating and describing the further development of the approved Design Development Documents and consisting of drawings and specifications setting forth in detail the quality levels of materials and systems and other requirements for the construction of the work and incorporates into the Construction Documents the design requirements of governmental authorities having jurisdiction over the Project;
- Coordinates with other consultants the preparation of estimates of the Cost of the Work, updates the estimate at various phases of the Project and advises the Owner of any adjustments;
- Assists the Project Manager during the bidding and procurement phase of the project to include the development and preparation of bidding and procurement documents, consideration of requests for substitutions, preparation and distribution of addenda, and preparing a summary report of the results for presentation to the client;
- Advises and consults with the client during the Construction Phase Services. Visits the site at intervals appropriate to the stage of construction, keeps the client reasonably informed about the progress and quality of the work completed and prepares reports. Interprets matters concerning performance and provides additional information to the contractor regarding the construction documents when requested. Reviews submittals and certifies amounts due the contractor for work completed. Conducts inspections to determine dates of Substantial and Final completion of the project;
- Performs duties consistent with the professional skill and care ordinarily provided by architects practicing in the same or similar locality under the same or similar circumstances as expeditiously as is consistent with such professional skill and care and the orderly progress of the Project and complies with the firm’s Ten Non-Negotiables;
- Collaborate with the design team to achieve quality level on our projects expected by the firm which includes adherence to the TEN NON-NEGOTIABLES of Project Vision Consensus, Design Excellence Criteria, Team Composition, Work Plan, Risk Management, Profit Plan, Client Relations and Loyalty, Change Management, Monitoring and Control, Project Close-Out and Lessons Learned;
- Promotes the purpose and core values of the firm and performs such other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture and technical knowledge in the higher education and civic/community
- Established Virginia Architectural License
- 15+ years of experience within the A/E/C industry.
- Civic + Community experience heavy, Higher Ed and S+T experience is a plus but not required
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Brilliant interpersonal and networking skills.
- Detail-oriented and highly analytical.
- In-depth understanding of Architectural software.
- Deadline-driven and dedicated to excellence.
- Perpetual learner in pursuit of knowledge to stay current with future trends in the industry.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA, FSA, 401(k), Vacation/Sick/Holiday and Parental Leave
- HSA Employer Contribution, 401(k) Employer Match, Employee Stock Ownership Plan
This position will primarily work in an office environment, with the potential for a hybrid schedule, working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time.
Join our Richmond office at Hanbury and open the door to an amazing new career! Send resumes and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The firm is an equal employment opportunity employer. We are committed to a policy and practice of equal employment opportunity with regards to hiring, working conditions, benefits and privileges of employment, compensation, training, opportunities for advancement including upgrading and promotion, transfers and terminations of employment including layoffs and recalls for employment. Equal employment opportunity is provided to both employees and applicants for employment in accordance with federal, state and local laws without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by law.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Send resumes and work samples to email@example.com.