Heitler Houstoun Architects is seeking experienced Retail Project Managers/Project Architects with 6 -10 years of professional Architecture experience (5-year B. Arch or M. Arch) in the fields of health, wellness, apparel, and/or beauty for both local and national brands. There will also be opportunities in other areas of practice (Residential/Workplace).
The candidate should be local to the New York City area or able to move in a relatively short amount of time.
The position will require direct client management and the ability to lead a 2-5 person team through the execution and roll out of national service-based retailers. Architectural and Interior Design services will cover all phases of design, drafting, approval and construction.
The ideal candidate would demonstrate experience in the following areas:
- Pre-Design – Assist the client in the evaluation and selection of potential spaces. Ability to review work letter and lease terms and understand the impact on space planning, budgets, design, vendor and sub-consultant design work.
- Design Phases – Oversee the development and/or implementation of the design based a scope of work as contractually outlined. Review layout for code compliance, coordinate with sub-consultants and vendors, oversee internal drawing production.
- Approval Phases – Prepare drawings for landlord and/or building management review/approval as well as local building department plan approval/permits.
- Bidding and Negotiations – Preparation of bid documents and administering the bidding process. Assist the client in the selection of a General Contractor.
- Construction Phase – Administer the contract for construction and support the General Contractor during Construction.
Candidates should demonstrate experience in any of the following project types:
- Retail – Apparel, Beauty, Health and Wellness for Local or National Brands in Urban/Storefront or Interior Mall locations.
- Retail – Conceptual and/or Prototype Based Design
- Retail – Preparation of design documents to facilitate the implementation of the design concept in multiple national locations.
Candidates should demonstrate the following personal skills:
- Ability to manage internal and external deadlines through personal time management and effective team delegation.
- Experience with oversight and management of the workflow of a small project team.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a dynamic team in a fast-paced and rigorous environment.
- Self-motivated, well organized, and able to execute projects with little supervision
- Define and solve complex problems, complete tasks accurately with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced deadline driven environment
- Commitment to guide and mentor younger team members in the early stages of their career
Candidates should demonstrate knowledge in the following areas:
- Experience organizing & assembling construction documents with proven technical skills in detailing.
- Experience navigating third party approvals (building management, local zoning, local building department).
- Experience identifying required consultants and soliciting proposals on behalf of clients.
- Knowledge of national, state, local, and federal Accessibility Codes.
- Knowledge of national, state, and local Energy Conservation Codes.
- Knowledge of New York City zoning text, building codes, and the DOB permit application process.
Candidates should demonstrate knowledge of the following technical skills:
- Hand drawing and hand-sketching abilities to quickly express creative ideas or technical details.
- Experience overseeing drawing production teams (AutoCAD) with their own experience and knowledge of the software.
- Experience overseeing visualization production teams (Google Sketch-up, V-Ray).
- Knowledge of presentation and communication software tools: In-Design, Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of organizational software tools: Microsoft Project, Excel.
Heitler Houstoun Architects, is a growing…and award winning architecture firm comprised of designers that translate imagination and knowledge into human experience. As a full service design firm offering expertise in architecture, interior design, space/master planning and prototype design, the level of engagement and collaboration is a constantly evolving process. Our purpose is to provide clients with spaces that exceed their expectations, which requires strong communication, both internally and externally, creative problem-solving and a commitment to quality and design excellence. A diverse portfolio of Residential, Retail and Workplace projects offer a wide range of experience and knowledge, which is enhanced by an open and collaborative office environment.
HHA offers full-time employees an industry leading benefits package. Compensation commensurate with experience and will be within the range of a 6-10 year position.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and at least five (5) work samples (20 MB maximum) of the candidate’s professional technical and design experience in a bound PDF (no multiple files or website links, please), with a strong emphasis on construction document organization and preparation.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ONLY the words “Retail Project Architect” in the subject line.