Project Architect / Senior Job Captain (San Diego)
SGPA Architecture and Planning is a leading architectural firm with offices in San Diego and San Francisco. For over 50 years, we’ve become specialists in a variety of project types, including master planning, retail, mixed-use, multifamily residential, senior living, education, and wellness. At SGPA, we enrich life through design by creating memorable places that promote human connection and well-being. Through collaboration, building on our expertise, and empowering our employees, we strive to find thoughtful design solutions that meet our clients’ goals and bring new vitality to our neighborhoods and communities.
Our San Diego office is searching for an experienced Project Architect (licensed) / Senior Job Captain (unlicensed) with 7+ years’ experience who is seeking long-term career relationships with potential for advancement. Ideal candidates will possess a bachelor’s degree in Architecture or an equivalent related Design degree and California Architectural License or on track for licensure as an Architect in the State of California. The PA/SJC position provides a leadership role for Job Captains and Drafters working under their direction. One who can provide technical advice, answer questions, and boost morale. One who can encourage a collaborative team atmosphere and sets a good example of how to follow architectural standards of care as well as office protocol. Minimum requirements for this position include the following:
- 7+ years or more of experience in prior similar role
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or similar degree
- Experience with DSA or Education projects is preferred
- Proficiency with Revit/BIM is required. Experience with additional programs including Autocad, Microsoft Office & Outlook, SketchUp, Bluebeam, Photoshop and other industry software applications are desirable
- Highly proficient understanding of detailing, constructability, materials, and methods of construction
- Project experience exhibited through resume & portfolio example projects
- Comprehensive knowledge in interpretation and application of building, accessibility, and zoning codes, including negotiations with agencies
- Experience with Construction Administration
- Good management skills for overseeing large project deliverables and team of support staff
- Professional communication skills; graphic, verbal, and written
- Comprehension of design concepts in both verbal and graphic communications
- Excellent organizational capabilities
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively in a deadline intensive environment
- Ability to compose and extend design elements in a presentation format
- Experience in coordinating with consultants such as civil, landscape, structural, or MEP
- Proficient in product research for outline specifications and in coordination of project manual
- Great attitude and collaborative team member
The person in this position will support and enhance the efforts of the firm’s design and production team. Responsibilities include assisting with design and production activities such as:
- Work under the collaborative direction of Senior Designer, Project Principals, and Project Managers to develop design concepts that respond to Firm and Client objectives
- Prepare presentation materials and design exhibits, including 3D modelling, presentation drawings, diagrams, and renderings.
- Coordinate project team members and monitor performance to ensure compliance with deadlines, and quality assurance
- Development and preparation of Construction Documents along with related site planning for new construction, renovations, and modernizations
- Coordinate the project consultant team members in the development of the project documents at all phases via e-mail, virtual meetings, or clash detection.
- Manages project deliverables and works closely with the Project Manager to keep the project on schedule.
- Participates in Quality Assurance Reviews and Specification assistance/coordination.
- Assist Project Manager with permit submittals and approvals; DSA experience a plus
- Assist Project Manager with construction administration and facilitate the flow of information during construction including review of shop drawings and submittals. Participates in site observations, answering RFI’s, and processing changes.
- Is involved in mentoring and teaching of the support staff and Project Team at a high level.
- Managing time effectively and meeting established deadlines and deliverables
Our Office Culture
We are proud to support our teams work-life balance by offering flexible and remote work hours. Our unique office schedule of 7:30am to 5:30pm Monday to Thursday allows you to enjoy longer weekends, as the office closes at 11:30am every Friday. SGPA values the mental and physical health of our teams and discourages staff from working over 40 hours a week.
SGPA offers a Mentorship Program, an Associates Program, SGPA Academy, and ARE Study Groups to promote staff growth and professional development. SGPA recognizes the contributions of our current and future leaders through appointment to the Associates Program. Associates who perform successfully can grow to Senior Associate, Associate Principal, and Principal. The purpose of the Associate’ program is to lead the charge for the betterment and growth within SGPA. Associates are expected to continually drive change, inspire new ideas, and improve processes within the firm.
Architectural Experience Program
Our design team is only as strong as it’s best ideas. And some of the most creative input comes from early-career architects. At SGPA we welcome and use our emerging professionals’ insights, and offer full involvement in our projects. SGPA supports NCARB’s Architectural Experience Program (AXP) and additionally reimburses staff for all Architect Registrations Exams (ARE) passed while employed here.
Additional Benefits of joining our team
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including 401k, medical, dental, paid vacation, group life insurance, paid family leave, disability, flexible spending options and annual holiday time off. Capable and enthusiastic job performance will be rewarded with opportunity and responsibility.
SGPA Hires for Careers not Projects:
SGPA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and recognizes that our talented team members are our best resource. We value diversity in backgrounds and in experiences to cultivate a team that can achieve our mission of Enriching Life Through Design. We fully support the career growth and professional goals of our team, and our preference is always to promote from within. Leadership opportunities are available on an equitable performance basis and firm leadership are dedicated to cultivating talent through mentorship, training, and hands on experience.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and web link to your portfolio (less than 10MB total) in PDF format to SGPA Human Resources at JobsSD@sgpa.com. Salary Range for the Senior Job Captain position is $75,000 – $95,000 and above pending licensure and experience. For more information or other career opportunities, please visit http://sgpa.com/careers. No phone calls, please.