Heitler Houstoun Architects, a growing…and award-winning Manhattan based architecture and interior design firm, with a diverse portfolio of Residential, Retail, and Workplace Interior projects is seeking Project Managers/Project Architects with 6-12 years of professional Architecture experience (5-year B. Arch or M. Arch), licensed or unlicensed.
The position will involve leading a 1-4 person team for residential, workplace, hospitality, and/or retail projects through all phases (pre-design, design, drafting, approval, construction administration, and close-out). We are looking for someone with the ability to work across several project types.
The ideal candidate would demonstrate experience in the following areas:
- Pre-Design – Assist the client in the evaluation and selection of potential spaces. Ability to review work letter, alteration agreements, and/or lease terms and understand the impact on space planning, budgets, design, vendor and sub-consultant design work.
- Design Phases – Oversee the development and/or implementation of the design. Review layout for code compliance, coordinate with sub-consultants and vendors, oversee internal drawing production.
- Approval Phases – Prepare drawings for landlord and/or building management review/approval as well as local building department plan approval/permits.
- Construction Phase – Administer the contract for construction and support the General Contractor during Construction.
- General – Manage client relationships of single location stores, franchise type stores throughout.
The candidate should be local to the New York City area (CT, NJ and NY surrounding areas, notably Westchester County) or able to move in a relatively short amount of time. (no international or Visa based applications please)
Candidates would demonstrate experience in any of the following project types:
- RETAIL – Tenant based design, drafting and construction administration work (health, wellness, apparel, and/or beauty for both local and national brands) and/or Landlord based work (reconfiguration/re-demising, storefronts, code compliance, tenant prep, for local NYC landlords)
- WORKPLACE – Tenant based design, drafting and construction administration work (workplace design to foster wellness, collaboration, productivity, and brand image) and Landlord/Broker based work (pre-builds for lease-ability, re-demising)
- RESIDENTIAL – NYC based interior renovations (brownstone, apartment, and multi-family based design, drafting and construction administration) and suburban based (new construction, additions, and interior renovations of single family homes in the Westchester NY area as well as nationwide).
Candidates should demonstrate the following personal skills:
- Ability to manage internal and external deadlines through personal time management and effective team delegation.
- Experience with oversight and management of the workflow of a small project team.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a dynamic team in a fast-paced and rigorous environment.
- Self-motivated, well organized, and able to execute projects with little supervision
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a highly creative and disciplined environment through strong communication, organizational and collaborative skills.
- Define and solve complex problems, complete tasks accurately with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced deadline driven environment
Candidates should demonstrate knowledge in the following areas:
- Experience organizing & assembling construction documents with proven technical skills in detailing.
- Experience navigating third party approvals (building management, local zoning, local building department, planning boards, zoning boards of appeals (variances)).
- Experience identifying required consultants and soliciting proposals on behalf of clients.
- Knowledge of the structure of national, state, local, and federal Accessibility Codes.
- Knowledge of the structure of national, state, and local Energy Conservation Codes.
- Knowledge of the structure of and how to navigate local zoning text, building codes, and the DOB permit application process.
Candidates should demonstrate knowledge in the following technical skills:
- Hand drawing and hand-sketching abilities to quickly express creative ideas or technical details
- A high level of AutoCAD experience, speed, and knowledge of the software.
- Google Sketch-up, Rhino, V-Ray, (Revit experience a plus).
- Knowledge of presentation and communication software tools: PowerPoint, In-Design, Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Word, Outlook.
- Knowledge of organizational software tools: Microsoft Project, Excel.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and at least five (5) work samples (5 MB maximum) of the candidate’s professional technical and design experience in a bound PDF (no multiple files or website links, please), with a strong emphasis on construction document organization and preparation. Compensation is commensurate with experience and will be within the range of a 6-12 year position.
Heitler Houstoun Architects Offers:
- Opportunities to work on a diverse set of projects and clients.
- Opportunities to service all phases of design, drafting and construction administration.
- Internal / external continuing education opportunities.
- Community, social, educational, and team building events.
- Industry leading benefits package.
- Hybrid work opportunities.
- Summer hours.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ONLY the words “Project Architect/Manager” in the subject line.