Overview We are a boutique, La Jolla-based architecture/design firm specializing in the design of custom residences, public and private historic preservation architecture and built environment environmental planning. We are presently seeking a talented architect with a minimum of ten years of experience, to join the firm as a project architect. This strategic hire for IS Architecture is an opportunity for the right individual to leverage their design skills to be an integral component for the office’s growth, utilize a diverse skills set and take on the challenges of growing a practice, with its principals.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to… You will be responsible as the Project Architect for all aspects of project design, planning and execution, including leading the client and project team through the architectural services from preliminary design through construction administration.
- Suggest ways to improve systems and procedures that will create better architectural services
- Perform other responsibilities associated with this position as may be appropriate, under the direction of executive leadership
- Provide strong technical detailing and coordination skills within a variety of construction materials and building types
- Set, monitor and maintain project budgets, work plans, and schedules through all phases of the design process.
- Employ a Quality Control process for all milestone submissions
- Work closely with Clients, managing relationships and day-to-day individual project needs.
- Participate in Business Development and Marketing activities, independently and in conjunction with others, including RFPs and Interviews.
- Lead and mentor internal teams and consultants from initial programing and design through to the production of well-detailed and coordinated documents using AUTODESK AEC Collection.
- Define and implement the necessary resources to ensure the design and documentation process flows smoothly and act as the primary liaison between the team and client
- Responsible for QA/QC processes; evaluates and assures intent of recommendations are implemented; assures “lessons learned” are communicated to all staff.
- Prepare fee proposals and negotiate contracts and fees
A qualified candidate will…
- Have a professional degree in Architecture, Bachelor’s or higher, from an accredited architecture program
- Extensive knowledge of construction detailing, within a variety of construction materials and building types
- Experience negotiating project scope, fees, agreements and contracts, managing project financial performance, and ensuring fiscal responsibility for projects
- Have 10+ years of full-time work in an architecture firm, with 5 years’ experience managing internal teams and external consultants.
- Have a California Architect license, or NCARB certificate
- Strong creative design capabilities and comprehensive understanding of the building and municipal codes.
- High Proficiency and technical knowledge in AUTODESK AEC Collection (Revit & AutoCAD)
- Have excellent communication skills, oral and written with clients, consultants and internal project team
- Experience reviewing and assuring document accuracy for client(s), consultant(s) and project team(s).
- Have strong time management and organizational skills while working on multiple tasks on multiple projects
- Experience developing proposals and participating in client interviews and development of marketing collateral.
- Be self-motivated and self-directed
- Be able to work independently and collaborate with a team of people
- Be resourceful and willing to bring and share new ideas
- Have a positive and optimistic attitude
- Be able to provide their own reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and automobile insurance
Preference will be given to applicants with…
- Familiarity with the Secretary of the Interior Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties
- Experience using, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Bluebeam Revu
- Experience in the design and project process of Federal or Local Government projects
- LEED certification
About Us and Our Culture
IS Architecture is a collaborative studio celebrating over 30 years of award-winning residential and historic preservation architectural service to the community. Founded by Ione Stiegler, FAIA the studio is known for creating bespoke residences that are beautiful, enduring, comfortable, and tailored specifically to the homeowner. The Historic Preservation practice specializes in applying the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties and has completed projects implementing all four approved treatments; Restoration, Preservation, Rehabilitation, and Reconstruction. The firm combines the expertise of Historic Preservation Architects and Cultural Resource Environmental Planners. The studio has been honored with over 80 awards, including best in the nation, which they attribute to the studio’s ethos of quality and conscientious responses to each new project.
Our La Jolla office offers a unique doggie friendly work environment. Our culture encourages a supportive, teamwork environment to arrive at design excellence through open and shared creative processes. We are proud and motivated by the quality of our work. We are self driven and yet here to support each other. We are committed to creating long-term career opportunities in a stimulating environment that encourages teamwork, leadership, and mentorship.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Paid holidays
- Group Medical/Dental insurance stipend
- Simple IRA retirement plan
- Due to COVID-19, a typical work schedule would be two to three days in the office and two to three days working remotely, whichever work combination totals five days a week. (laptop provided)
- Reimbursement for 50% of Architectural Registration Exams, paid AIA annual dues and license fees.
- Educational and professional enrichment sessions/workshops/conferences are encouraged and are paid. All employees are encouraged to participate in professional organization affairs and in public service activities.
- Work-life balance, regular feedback, and open communication, open-minded group of creatives, family vibe without the politics or drama.
- Free all-day street parking
- Dogs in office (provided they meet requirements in the Dog Policy)
Please apply only if you have a serious interest in the position. We are looking for someone who is interested in developing a long-term commitment. Out of region candidates may apply, though compensation for relocation will not be considered. We have a small office dog, so candidates must be ok working around dogs.
Qualified applicants must submit the following to be considered for this position:
- Cover Letter
- Minimum of three professional reference
- Focused portfolio of five projects
DO NOT send general broadcast letters and portfolios.
- At this time, IS Architecture will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
- IS Architecture is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
- All recipients of an offer of employment from IS Architecture, will be required to submit to a background screening.
Email your resume with all the attachments listed above to:
Malissa McGee and Ione Stiegler
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org