About MoMA PS1
MoMA PS1 champions how art and artists are at the intersection of the social, cultural, and political issues of their time. Providing audiences with the agency to ask questions, access to knowledge, and a forum for public debate, PS1 has offered insight into artists’ diverse worldviews for more than 45 years. Founded in 1976 by Alanna Heiss, the institution was a defining force in the alternative space movement in New York, transforming a 19th-century public schoolhouse in Long Island City into a site for artistic experimentation and creativity.
With an annual budget of approximately $12M, PS1 has been a member of New York City’s Cultural Institutions Group (CIG) since 1982, and affiliated with The Museum of Modern Art since 2000.
We recognize that a successful candidate will meet many of the requirements listed on this job description, but may not meet 100% of the qualifications. If much of this job description describes you, we encourage you to apply for this role.
- Assist Exhibition & Production Designer with exhibition-making process by developing design studies, preparing art layouts, researching installation dimensions/specs/instructions and documenting model layouts and mockups
- Produce design renderings, maquettes, study models and other presentation materials to convey design and exhibition scope to curators and artists
- Assist in producing architectural design documents from schematics through construction, including prototypes, millwork detailing and material specification
- Assist in production and fabrication research and sourcing material samples
- Other duties as assigned
- 1-2 years’ experience in architecture or related design field;
- Proficiency in Sketch-up, ability to interpret floor plans and calculate dimensions accurately between 2D and 3D renderings, and facility with building study models;
- Established materials knowledge as it relates to construction, fabrication, installation methods, and A/V equipment;
- Creative problem solving to determine best design tools, presentation formats, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing deadlines and priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, be proactive, and take initiative, balanced with skill in executing plans and tasks with precise and nuanced instructions;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, excellent attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively;
- Ability to maintain a highly professional and positive attitude in a dynamic and creative setting;
- Proficiency in working on both Mac, Microsoft and Google platforms, with direct experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, Gmail, and Google Docs required;
- Knowledge of, and interest in, contemporary art and PS1 and its programming.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is part-time with a salary of $3,333 per month. This is a 6-months assignment with the possibility of extension to one year. Benefits include 3 paid personal days and staff discounts in the MoMA Design store as well as Artbook@PS1.
About the Fellowship
The Fellow serves a six (6) month term with the possibility of extending to a full year. Fellows receive an opportunity for hands-on training within a contemporary art institution and an understanding of how MoMA PS1 operates, develops programs, and engages audiences. The Fellowship serves as a launching pad for individuals within the arts and management fields to hone their skills and attain real world experience with structure and support. Fellows are expected to work Monday through Thursday with some weekend and evening hours.
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at PS1.
MoMA PS1 is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Please apply through link: