AYON Studio, a growing architecture and preservation practice in NYC, seeks a Preservation / Building Envelope Architect to help us further our mission, achieve our vision, and uphold our values. We are a service-focused, community-driven firm dedicated to heritage conservation and preservation advocacy. We look to transform the built environment with contemporary, sustainable and architecturally appropriate interventions. Located on Union Square in the heart of Manhattan, AYON Studio works with public agencies, cultural institutions, and private property owners to safeguard and enhance significant properties, ensuring their viability for future generations. We are looking for a Preservation / Building Envelope Architect.
- On-site documentation, conditions assessments and design of interventions on a variety of existing buildings (mostly designated Landmarks or Landmark-quality buildings);
- Developing design solutions and preparing Construction Documents for exterior repairs;
- Performing NYC DOB FISP inspections, and preparing FISP report and related filing;
- Filing the proposed work with regulatory agencies (LPC, DOB, etc.);
- Spearheading the bid procurement, including preparing bid comparisons and leveling bids;
- Providing Construction Contract Administration services, including submittals, mockups and samples review; managing contractor submittals and RFIs; reviewing the Contractor’s work; performing periodic inspections, etc.
- An understanding of historic buildings’ materials and construction assemblies, as well as their decay patterns and causes of deterioration.
- Ability to detail and specify suitable repairs for historic buildings.
- Experience with preparing Construction Documents for building envelope repairs at historic buildings.
- Providing Construction Contract Administration services, including submittal review and approval, periodic inspections, NYC LPC sample and mockup review and approval.
- Experience with NYC FISP compliance.
- Adaptability to a dynamic work environment coupled with ability to work on multiple projects concurrently while responding timely to deadlines.
We are looking for a motivated, self-driven applicant with excellent communication skills and the ability to fulfill project responsibilities while focusing on clients’ needs. The ideal candidate would have an architectural degree and/or a M Sc in Historic Preservation or related field, as well as a minimum of seven (7) to ten (10) years of professional experience working at US-based architectural, preservation or building envelope consulting firm(s). Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD), Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office is required. Hand sketching skills for on-site existing conditions documentation are also required along with willingness to perform fieldwork, including from supported and suspended scaffold. Architectural licensure or progress towards completion of ARE exams is desired but not required. This is a full time in-person position at our Union Square office. Remote applicant will not be considered.
In addition to two-week vacation, five-day paid personal/sick leave, and paid holidays, AYON Studio offers employer-sponsored health, vision and dental insurance. A 401(K) retirement savings plan with employer contribution, as well as an employer-sponsored profit sharing plan is available to all employees. AYON Studio offers a variety of professional development opportunities, including encouraging and sponsoring participation in professional events and seminars. Attendance to DOB-required scaffold training for fieldwork will be sponsored by the firm. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. AYON Studio is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, portfolio and salary requirements to info@AyonStudio.com. Please show “Preservation / Building Envelope Architect” on the subject line of your email submission. No calls please. This is an in-person position. Applicants for remote work only will not be considered. Applicants for remote work will not be considered.