Fluidity Design Consultants is a leading edge, Los Angeles-based water feature design and engineering firm with an international practice. The firm collaborates with many of the world’s most respected architects, landscape architects, and developers in the realization of site-specific, creative and technically refined water features. Fluidity seeks a mechanical engineer for the design and development of plumbing and electrical systems for large-scale water features from concept analysis through commissioning. This work is performed in association with other in-house and out-of-house design professional team members. The position requires a rational approach to engineering problems and systems thinking, covering the key areas of hydraulics, piping, power, signal and controls, and also a general understanding of geometry, structures and construction. Previous experience with water features or irrigation is a plus, though not required. Fluidity works collaboratively towards innovative solutions, and requires a healthy degree of creativity in the successful candidate, functioning with balanced engineering ability and a positive sense of purpose. Applicants must have legal status to work in the US and should be available to travel to domestic and international destinations. Competitive Salary, based on relevant experience.
Fluidity maintains an office in Downtown Los Angeles, but candidates may work remotely and do not need to be based in the LA area to be considered for this position.
The engineering position is part-time to start with the option to become a full-time position. Requirements:
- 8 – 10 years experience. Professional engineer. Licensed in multiple states and willing to secure licensure through reciprocity in states based on project needs.
- Strong analytical skills, and professionally curious intellectual nature
- Ability to think inside and outside the box and participate in creative brainstorming
- Professional level AutoCad, Revit or BIM experience required.
- Experience with construction administration process and general knowledge of construction methodologies is required.
- Analysis and engineering of mechanical, electrical, plumbing and control systems to achieve exceptional water feature installations.
- Project code analysis for related building, plumbing, electrical and health regulations
- Water feature equipment research, selection and systems integration.
- Preparation of Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams, Electrical Schematics, Equipment Schedules, Piping Plans, Equipment Room Plans, Elevations & Sections, and Mechanical Construction Details for inclusion in Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Document drawings packages.
- Preparation and review of Mechanical, Electrical and Control Systems Specifications
- Preparation of water feature systems order or magnitude construction cost estimates.
- Travel to project sites for piping, electrical and controls construction review and for participation in the contractor’s commissioning of water features.
- Coordinate closely with Fluidity’s design team, responding nimbly to the ongoing internal questions and design changes normal to fast-paced design and engineering practices.
- Attend phone, web or videoconferences with clients for domestic and international projects. Good verbal and written skills are necessary.
- Provide engineering leadership aimed towards the continuing evolution of a robust engineering culture within the design studio