Job Captain / Senior Job Captain (San Diego and San Francisco)
SGPA Architecture and Planning is a leading architectural firm with offices in San Diego and San Francisco. For over 50 years, we’ve become specialists in a variety of project types, including master planning, retail, mixed-use, multifamily residential, senior living, education, and wellness. At SGPA, we enrich life through design by creating memorable places that promote human connection and well-being. Through collaboration, building on our expertise, and empowering our employees, we strive to find thoughtful design solutions that meet our clients’ goals and bring new vitality to our neighborhoods and communities.
Our San Diego and San Francisco offices are searching for a Job Captain with 3 to 5 years of experience or a Senior Job Captain with 5 to 10 years of experience, who is seeking long-term career relationships with potential for advancement. Minimum requirements for this position include the following:
- Job Captain: 3 to 5 years of experience in prior similar role
- Senior Job Captain: 5 to 10 years of experience in prior similar role
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or similar degree
- Architectural Licensure preferred but not required
- Excellent organizational capabilities
- Professional communication skills, both written and spoken
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively in a deadline intensive environment
- Proficiency with Revit, SketchUp, Photoshop, InDesign, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office and Outlook, and familiarity with other industry software applications are desirable
- Basic understanding of materials and methods of construction
- Excellent graphic and design capabilities exhibited through resume and portfolio example projects
- Comprehension of design concepts in both verbal and graphic communications
- Ability to compose and extend design elements in a presentation format
- Experience in coordinating with consultants such as civil, landscape, structural, or MEP
- Experience in creating construction documents and detailing
- Proficient in product research for outline specifications and in coordination of project manual
- Comprehensive knowledge in interpretation and application of building and zoning codes, including negotiations with agencies
- Construction administration experience is a plus
- Great attitude and collaborative team member
The person in this position will support and enhance the efforts of the firm’s design and production team. Responsibilities include assisting with design and production activities such as:
- Work under the collaborative direction of Senior Designer, Project Principals, and Project Managers to develop design concepts that respond to Firm and Client objectives
- Prepare presentation materials and design exhibits, including 3D modelling, presentation drawings, diagrams, and renderings.
- Material and product research and selections, and color and materials board preparations
- Select building materials and color palettes for presentation boards
- Assist with the development and production of Construction Documents and coordination of project consultants
- Assist during construction administration phase in review of requests for information, shop drawings and submittals
- Managing time effectively and meeting established deadlines and deliverables
Our Office Culture
We are proud to support our teams work-life balance by offering flexible and remote work hours. Our unique office schedule of 7:30am to 5:30pm Monday to Thursday allows you to enjoy longer weekends, as the office closes at 11:30am every Friday. SGPA values the mental and physical health of our teams and discourages staff from working over 40 hours a week.
SGPA offers a Mentorship Program, an Associates Program, SGPA Academy, and ARE Study Groups to promote staff growth and professional development. SGPA recognizes the contributions of our current and future leaders through appointment to the Associates Program. Associates who perform successfully can grow to Senior Associate, Associate Principal, and Principal. The purpose of the Associate’ program is to lead the charge for the betterment and growth within SGPA. Associates are expected to continually drive change, inspire new ideas, and improve processes within the firm.
Architectural Experience Program
Our design team is only as strong as it’s best ideas. And some of the most creative input comes from early-career architects. At SGPA we welcome and use our emerging professionals’ insights, and offer full involvement in our projects. SGPA supports NCARB’s Architectural Experience Program (AXP) and additionally reimburses staff for all Architect Registrations Exams (ARE) passed while employed here.
Additional Benefits of joining our team
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including 401k, medical, dental, paid vacation, group life insurance, paid family leave, disability, flexible spending options and annual holiday time off. Capable and enthusiastic job performance will be rewarded with opportunity and responsibility.
SGPA Hires for Careers not Projects:
SGPA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and recognizes that our talented team members are our best resource. We value diversity in backgrounds and in experiences to cultivate a team that can achieve our mission of Enriching Life Through Design. We fully support the career growth and professional goals of our team, and our preference is always to promote from within. Leadership opportunities are available on an equitable performance basis and firm leadership are dedicated to cultivating talent through mentorship, training, and hands on experience.
Salary Range for the Senior Job Captain position is $70,000 – $90,000 in San Diego and $75,000 – $95,000 in San Francisco. Salary Range for the Job Captain position is $65,000 – $75,000 in San Diego and $70,000 – $80,000 in San Francisco.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and web link to your portfolio (less than 10MB total) in PDF format to SGPA Human Resources at:
San Diego Office: JobsSD@sgpa.com
San Francisco Office: JobsSF@sgpa.com
For more information or other career opportunities, please visit http://sgpa.com/careers. No phone calls, please.