TOLO Architecture, led by Peter Tolkin and Sarah Lorenzen, is a boutique practice located in the industrial district of Downtown LA. We work on a variety of project types and are formally agnostic; believing that what a project looks like comes from the team, the client, and the particularities of the context. We believe architecture has primarily two concerns: the material (what it looks and feels like) and the social (the activities it encourages). At TOLO we aim to find interesting and original ways to address both concerns.
We are looking for a job captain to collaborate with us on a variety of residential, institutional, and arts-related projects.
Candidate should have strong technical and design skills, enjoy working collaboratively, and be capable of managing a larger project or several smaller projects, with support from TOLO Principals (Peter and Sarah) and others in the office. Candidate should have a minimum of FIVE years construction documents experience, experience with Construction Administration, and have an interest in non-standard and materially expressive construction detailing.
- Professional Bachelor or Master of Architecture degree.
- A Minimum of 5 years of full-time work experience, including experience putting together Construction Documents, overseeing Construction Administration, and processing documents with the building/planning department.
- Advanced knowledge of architectural building systems and codes.
- Excellent design and graphic skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluency in English.
- Skilled in the use of Rhino, AutoCAD, Revit, and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator).
- Currently lives in greater Los Angeles (Note: we do not provide sponsorship for international applicants).
- Desire to work onsite at our office in Downtown Los Angeles.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce and coordinate working documents with the TOLO team and external consultants.
- Ensure that the design intent of the project is consistently incorporated into the project.
- Research materials, products, and building systems with an understanding of architectural detailing.
- Assist Principals with project budgets, schedules, and client communication.
- Address project code requirements and correspond with government agencies (or expeditors) for permitting.
Salary ranges from $75,000.00 – $85,000.00 annually. Salary is commensurate with education level, professional experience, and demonstrated knowledge.
A full benefits package is offered, including paid time off, 8 paid holidays, health insurance, licensure support, and 401k plan.
Please include a resume, relevant work samples, the names of 2-3 references with contact info as a pdf document (12 mb maximum) in an email addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org (this will come to both Peter and Sarah directly)
Please write “Job Captain Position at TOLO” in the subject line. Salary will be commensurate with ability and experience.
No telephone calls please.