An Interior Designer 2 is familiar with the Interiors process and what is required to be completed in all phases of a project. They have mastered the skills required of a D1 and are able to work on and adapt to various project typologies. A D2 assists a D3/D4/D5 with medium to large projects and understands what is included in the schematic design phase and in a design development and construction document set. They have the ability to create and develop a design concept with moderate oversight.
A D2 grows the skillset to lead a small project and produce a set of drawings with oversight. This role is introduced to construction administration and the various responsibilities during the phase.
- Work on one or more projects with moderate oversight by D3/4/5
- Assist in the preparation of client design presentations (selecting conceptual images, generating 3D views, rendered elevations, material and FF&E selections). Able to put together client presentation template based on the meeting agenda.
- Understand project scope and required deliverables
- Create and develop design concepts
- Assist in the production of design development and construction documents with moderate oversight
- Able to solely develop schedules for interior finishes, appliances, plumbing fixtures and door hardware
- Be familiar with building codes and ADA requirements and know where they are required
- Support Interiors D3/4/5 in consultant coordination and construction administration
- Assist in the preparation of specifications.
- Develop FF&E package and material selections.
- Correspond with vendors regarding finishes, FF&E specifications and pricing.
- Consistently redline and review work for accuracy
- Attend client and coordination meetings when appropriate and prepare meeting minutes.
- Develop presentation skills and learn how to generate an agenda for coordination and client meetings
- Develop ability to lead small projects and execute the tasks below with moderate oversight:
Create and maintain the Interiors work plan
Generate drawing list for Design Development and Construction Documents
Complete Interiors portion of Design Development and Construction Document set
- Work both independently & as part of a team efficiently in an organized manner
- Consistently meet deadlines set in project work plan
- Start to develop management skills and knowledge of what is required to lead a team effectively
- Follow MA standards and procedures
- Self-evaluate one’s skills, efficiency and where improvement is needed
Professional degree in Architecture, Interior Architecture or Interior Design
Other accreditations encouraged (NCIDQ, AIA, LEED)
6+ years of experience in residential, office and/or hospitality projects
Portfolio demonstrates strong design solutions
Clear verbal and written communication skills
Self-motivated, organized and strong problem-solving skills
Able to collaborate and work effectively in a team setting
Ability to work across multiple projects in an efficient manner
Proficient in 3D modeling using software such as Revit, Rhino, AutoCAD, and SketchUp
Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)