The Public Works Facilities Management Division has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced and highly skilled Engineering Project Manager to join our dynamic and innovative facilities team. The Facilities Division manages approximately fifty existing buildings, providing project delivery for a wide range of projects; including facility planning & assessments, repair & replacements of building elements and systems, site improvements, tenant improvements, renovations, and new construction.
This position will manage the development and implementation of various facility related projects through all project phases, including conceptual planning, design, permitting, procurement, construction and close out. This position will work closely with project sponsors and stakeholders to ensure project deliverables and requirements are met and will negotiate, execute and administer agreements with various consultants, contractors, suppliers and agencies in order to ensure successful project delivery.
If you have a proven track record of success in project management, exceptional leadership skills, and a passion for driving results in a fast-paced and challenging environment, we encourage you to apply for this rewarding career opportunity today.
- Manages the scope, schedule and budget for assigned capital projects; develops and executes project strategy; coordinates with internal and external entities; leads the project team.
- Manages and prepares project specifications; reviews plans prior to advertisement, bid and award phases.
- Prepares RFQs, RFPs and bid solicitations as required to procure consultants and contractors.
- Prepares stakeholder correspondence and project website updates; leads public outreach and stakeholder communications.
- Updates and maintains data for internal databases and plans such as the capital facilities plan, transportation improvement plan and project database.
- Prepares reports and presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, construction management, project management or directly related field
- 4 years of progressively responsible professional capital construction project management experience
*Equivalency: 1 year of experience = 1 year of education
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
Valid Washington State Driver’s License with maintenance thereafter
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- LEED Accredited Professional (AP)
- Experience in municipal facility project planning, design, procurement and construction management strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of various project management tools and software packages such as Microsoft Office, scheduling software (for example, Microsoft Project or Primavera), and earned value reporting preferred
- Supervisory or Leadership experience strongly preferred
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Tacoma’s diversity is its greatest asset. Tacoma embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Communities of color and immigrant communities are fundamental to Tacoma’s entrepreneurial spirit, workforce, and long-term success. In Tacoma, equity and empowerment are top priorities, meaning that all Tacoma residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. One of our goals is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
The City of Tacoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in its workplace. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, and local laws.
Interested individuals should apply online and attach a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
Appointment is subject to passing a background check and reference checks with acceptable results.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400 before 4pm on the closing date of this posting.