New York Review of Architecture seeks a part-time hire to coordinate our online presence.
We are a small architecture publication based in New York. We publish a bimonthly print issue, a weekly newsletter called SKYLINE, and host about a dozen events a year. We are a small team, with four part-time employees. Our community spans about ten thousand followers on social media, about two thousand print readers, and almost two hundred writers and editors. We like to think we throw pretty good parties.
We engage with social media for the following three reasons:
To be heard:
- To get the word out about new events and issues
- To celebrate and showcase the work of our writers, artists, and event participants
- To entertain and delight
- To help our readership understand how to strive for a better society through better architecture
- Find and connect with allies and supporters of the publication
- Meaningfully engage with people who comment or provide feedback
- Pick up on trends to which we can add additional context
- Ask questions that our community can help answer
- Build a community that is willing and ready to support NYRA’s work
- Grow and engage our base of customers, subscribers, event participants, contributors, and sponsors
We are looking for someone who can spearhead this work. You will be pivotal in amplifying the voice of the publication, and in that capacity we expect you would spend some time learning our voice, and then begin innovating upon it.
In practical terms, the work will be as follows:
- Post 1 or 2 times a day to our different platforms
- Map out and prepare, on a weekly basis, what is going up when
- Work with writers and editors to prepare content for its life online
- Put articles onto our website and send them out to our e-mail list
- We expect this would come to 10 hours a week of work, but can adjust if it comes to more or less.
We are looking for someone who:
- Works well in teams and is resourceful, as the nature of the work is that you will be in contact with and asking for assets from almost everyone in our publication
- Has a track record of being savvy and showing good judgment in social media. We have an established presence on instagram and twitter, but we are interested if you are wise in the ways of other platforms
- Has the ability to steward an organization’s voice
- Has jokes: a wit and a sense of humor
- Enjoys working with and engaging a large community
- Is in New York, to attend our events and meetings at our office in Chelsea
- Has photography and video editing skills, though in general we will provide most of the assets
- Knows their way around indesign and photoshop
- Has experience and interest in writing and editing
You will be managed by our Publisher, Nicolas Kemper, though you will work closely with our whole team, including our Editor Samuel Medina and Deputy Editor Marianela D’Aprile. We also know the nature of this work can be taxing, and are very interested in making it sustainable.
We are interested in candidates who can only do this for a fixed period of time (say, if you are a student), as we are in those who might start in this position and subsequently grow into larger responsibilities. Regardless, we want a minimum commitment of six months.
We will pay you $25 / hour, plus a performance bonus.
We will also do our best to bring you into our world: attending meetings with firms, giving you a look into our production processes and content development, going on special site visits and other field trips.To apply, please fill out the form below by Monday, April 3.
To apply, please fill out our form at nyra.nyc/engage