Pfeffer Torode, an award-winning architecture and design firm, provides distinctive design solutions in response to project-specific aspirations for a wide range of commercial and residential project types. Our team of over seventy designers, architects, and professionals combines comprehensive commercial project experience with an extensive background in fine residential design bound together by a common, constant commitment to quality design and dedicated service. Pfeffer Torode maintains offices in Nashville and Chattanooga, Tennessee as well as Birmingham and Montgomery, Alabama. Our work, concentrated in the Southeast, also spans across the country and abroad.
We are seeking a Director of Workplace Culture to lead and manage all aspects of human resources, talent development, and team member culture. This position will play a crucial role by implementing, maintaining, and reporting the results of HR strategies and programs that attract, develop, and retain top architectural/professional talent. This role encompasses HR management, talent acquisition, performance management, team member engagement, and fostering a collaborative and inclusive workplace culture. Additional responsibilities include executing programs, processes, and systems associated with continuously improving the team member experience. The team member experience involves all areas of the team member life cycle– from initial contact, to hiring, onboarding, engagement, related training, team member satisfaction, benefits administration, culture-building, and performance management.
The Director of Workplace Culture is an in-office position that reports to the CFO/Business Strategist and Managing Director in Nashville, TN. The Director will collaborate extensively with PTA’s Director team: Creative/Marketing, Finance, Operations, and IT. Moderate travel is expected for this role to maintain a consistent and regular comradery with team members in all offices.
Strategic Human Resource Leadership
- Manage the team member lifecycle, including recruitment, onboarding, performance management, and offboarding processes.
- Stay up to date with HR trends and best practices, adapting strategies to meet the evolving needs of the organization.
- Provide guidance and support to project leaders and team members on HR matters, including team member relations, conflict resolution, and disciplinary actions.
- Oversee the work of the Workplace Coordinator
Talent Acquisition and Organizational Development
- Collaborate with project leaders to identify staffing needs, create job descriptions, and implement effective selection processes.
- Build out career paths and associated development experiences and training.
- Manage an annual process and schedule to set goals, monitor performance, give feedback, and support team member development.
- Serve as talent management system administrator.
- Extract development needs at the individual, role, department, and organizational level
- Design, deliver, and analyze reports for management about bench strength and development needs.
- Implement, manage, and continuously improve effective performance management solutions and offer coaching for all team members
- Provide one on one coaching for team members and leaders.
- Support and regularly encourage annual goal-setting and individual development planning.
- Support project leaders in providing ongoing feedback, coaching, and mentoring to team members.
- Support project leaders in addressing performance issues in a timely and fair manner.
Team Member Engagement and Culture
Serve as the guardian of PTA’s culture:
- Set the pace of culture by maintaining a spirit of openness, competence, and care.
- Develop, implement, and maintain initiatives to enhance team member engagement, career satisfaction, and work-life balance.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive workplace culture that supports innovation and creativity.
- Help facilitate workplace culture events, team-building activities, and internal communication channels (happy hours, on-and off-site activities, team outings, meetings, etc.).
- Encourage cross-departmental collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Regularly review team member feedback from 1on1 conversations, surveys, annual reviews, etc., and collaborate with Operations and Finance leadership to recommend workplace and benefit enhancements to firm leadership. Proactively address team member concerns as they arise.
- Apply professional intuition and experience to determine leadership expectations on receiving timely information around any team members’ feedback.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Champion diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives within organizational and recruiting processes.
- Collaborate with project leaders and teams to address bias, promote equality, and ensure inclusive policies and practices.
HR Processes and Compliance
- Work with Company’s Business Process Outsourcer (BPO), in collaboration with Finance and Operations, to develop and implement HR policies, procedures, and practices that align with employment laws and regulations and support the firm’s growth objectives (example: Handbook).
- Ensure accurate, complete and confidential maintenance of HR records and information.
- In partnership with executive leadership, ensure that Company remains in legal and regulatory compliance in terms of human resources related concerns.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 7 years’ proven experience in People, Culture and/or Human Resources Management. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience in a creative industry, professional services, and/or rapidly growing organizations is a plus.
- Certification in behavioral/personality assessments, coaching, and/or PHR certificate is a plus.
- Exceptional judgment and ability to manage both complexity and ambiguity.
- Passion for creating a positive work culture, promoting diversity and inclusion, and enhancing team member engagement.
- Able to work independently or with a team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment that often demands re-prioritization.
- Skilled in business planning and driving execution on an approved plan, to agreed upon timelines and quality.
- Comfort in system administration
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Clear, confident written and oral communication
- Interpersonal savvy and openness
- Able to offer incisive guidance and capable leadership.
- Objective and data driven; compliance minded.
- Attentive to detail and well organized.
This is a full-time position; salary will be commensurate with experience and skill level.
- Employer provided healthcare (vision and dental included)
- Paid Time Off (20 days starting + 8 holidays)
- 4% 401K matching with immediate vesting (after 1 year of employment)
- $100 monthly cell phone stipend
- Professional Development opportunities
All applicants will receive equal consideration for employment. Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. For more information please visit www.pfeffertorode.com
- 1 PDF including cover letter and resume
- File should be saved as: yourname_pta_DoWC. File size should not exceed 2MB.
- Submit pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Director of Workplace Culture”.
- No phone inquiries please.