Workshop/APD is an award-winning, multidisciplinary architecture and design firm. From dramatic penthouses and seaside retreats to luxury residential developments and groundbreaking hotels and restaurants, our projects are uniquely defined by a sense of place and purpose and a desire to ultimately enhance users experience through exceptional design. Our aesthetic is timelessly modern but site-specific, unbound by project type or a singular style. Our diverse and collaborative team of creative architects, interior designers, product designers and graphic designers leverage vast and highly varied experiences to solve complex design challenges, resulting in holistic spaces, products and experiences that are exceptionally beautiful and accessible.
We are currently seeking a full-time Interior Design Director to lead a single- family residential FF&E team. This is part of an expansion of our FF&E studio and will collaborate with our current FF&E Leadership team. This candidate has 7 – 10 years’ leadership experience designing and managing projects from concept, through sourcing and, to installation and final styling. The Design Director needs to be proactive, have a strong design perspective, and display visionary leadership skills that will empower their team to make impactful contributions to the success of the company. Candidates should have strong leadership skills, lead design experience on modern high-end residential projects, and excel at bridging the gap between architectural design and FF&E selection. The ideal candidate would also have strong sourcing/specification experience. This position is part of the Executive Management Team and will report to the Principals of the firm.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Complement the architecture and design of our single-family projects with a strong and curated FF&E point of view.
- Provide direction from concept, through sourcing and purchasing, to installation and styling.
- Partner with architectural counterparts and project managers to ensure design intent is cohesive from beginning to end.
- Lead and manage a team of interior designers. Specific tasks may include leading design concepts and presentations, designing custom furniture pieces, tracking project schedules and designer assignments, mentoring, and training junior employees, conducting annual reviews, and providing team feedback.
- Interview and review intermediate/junior staff and new hires.
- Review and comment on designer’s work to ensure design vision is achieved including FF&E selection, Art, and Accessories.
- Contribution to the strategic thinking of the office including future growth and structure.
- Manage multiple concurrent projects.
- Present projects and participate in client meetings.
- Billing projections and quarterly account review
- Staffing projections
- Construction drawing review / technical detailing.
- RCP / MEP, Drapery Pockets, and Electrical drawings review.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience managing project teams and clients associated with high profile, complex, and highly political residential and hospitality projects.
- Ability to brainstorm design quickly, sketch ideas, think on your feet, and juggle multiple design challenges with clarity and conviction.
- Ability to think strategically and participate in executive level planning.
- Superior leadership skills with the ability to self-manage and manage staff.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD (2020 or higher), Microsoft Office Suite, Studio Webware (a plus but not mandatory), and Adobe Creative Cloud.
- 3-D Modeling and Renderings skills are not required but would be valuable
- Ability to work in a high energy, fast-paced environment.
- Highly developed communication skills, specifically with senior management, clients, and consultants.
- Highly organized
- Needs to be confident, well spoken, energetic, passionate, and well established in the Interior Design industry.
- Professional Degree (Arch or Interior Design Degree or prof. accreditation preferred)
- Minimum of 7 years’ high-end single-family design experience (should be able to showcase finished/built work)
- Travel is required.
Workshop/APD offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, vision, profit sharing 401(k) plan, short- and long-term disability, commuter benefits, IDP mentorship and ARE/AXP reimbursement, discretionary bonus, and personal time off (vacation, sick, holidays, and personal days). In addition, WAPD offers a comprehensive health and wellness program including discounts, education, prevention training, health coaching, and fitness classes, as well as in-office perks including an employee lounge and rooftop, outdoor patio for lunches, bi-weekly happy hours, and office supplied food and beverages. Salary is commensurate with experience and available upon request.
Please send applications through this link.