Monumental Labs, a venture-backed stone fabrication company combining advanced robotics and traditional hand carving, is looking to hire artists and architects with backgrounds in digital design and fabrication.
As digital fabrication lead, you’ll be responsible for programing and operating our CNC robots to turn the work of artists, architects, and collectors into stone sculpture and ornament. Candidates with strong digital design skills will also help our clients turn ideas and drawings into digital 3D models.
You’ll work on everything from fine art, to public monuments, to architectural sculpture and ornament in both restoration work and new builds. Experience with classical architectural forms and proportions, as well as contemporary architectural patterns and ornament is a huge plus.
On the robot programming and operations side:
- You’ll use Powermill, Rhino, and robot simulation software, among other programs, to create tool paths, place and orient models within blocks, orient blocks on the robot, and output robot code. You’ll devise milling strategies that are highly efficient and precise, and do so with an eye towards what’s beautiful and minimizes our carvers’ hand finishing time. Sometimes, the marks of the robot are part of the artwork, and these must be programmed with artistic intent.
- You’ll oversee the physical preparation and orienting of blocks on the robot to align with your designs
- You’ll oversee the timeline and efficient operations of the robots.
- You aren’t expected to know how to operate the robots off the bat. We’ll train you.
On the design side:
- We have ongoing needs in 3D digital design and modeling. If you have these design skills, we’ll also have you work on the projects using software such as Zbrush, Rhino, Revit, Grasshopper, AutoCad etc.
- Competitive salary ($63,000-$95,000)
- Top-flight health insurance, dental, and vision benefits.
- No and low-cost opportunities to mill your own pieces on our robots
Monumental Labs is building robotic stone carving factories to unleash a renaissance. Combining advanced robotics with traditional hand carving, Monumental Labs produces custom stone sculpture at a fraction of the cost. We’re on a mission to develop and scale new automation technologies that will allow us to once again build cities with the splendor of Florence, Paris, or Art Deco New York.
In the process, we’re bringing the stone craft ecosystem back to the United States, and forming an elite team of designers, artists, sculptors, and engineers. We’re based in Mt. Vernon, NY, 6 miles north of Manhattan.
Apply through here or feel free to email me at micah at monumentallabs.co