M1DTW Architects is looking for a well-rounded, designed-focused designer with strong technical skills. We are looking for a candidate to work within a team on projects through all phases of the design process from concept design through to construction/final implementation.
The ideal candidate for this position is a highly motivated, flexible, and cooperative problem solver with a strong work ethic and excellent communication skills able to translate design concepts into reality as an integral member of a project team. The position is expected to be in-person at the Detroit studio with flexibility for occasional work-from-home.
- Professional degree in Architecture (M.Arch) from an accredited institution plus 1–2 years of full-time architectural office experience in schematic design through construction document phases in progressive, design-focused firms. OR
- Professional degree in Architecture (B.Arch) from an accredited institution plus 2–3 years of full-time architectural office experience in schematic design through construction document phases in progressive, design-focused firms. OR
- Candidates with both an M.Arch and undergraduate degrees in architecture or related design fields may be considered with less than 1 year of full-time office experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Interest and passion for all scales of architectural design, from ground-up buildings to interiors, custom furniture & environmental graphics with a desire to continuously learn new skills.
- In collaboration with the broader team, design and execute multiple projects simultaneously from concept through completion, and potentially lead smaller-sized residential and commercial projects
- Produce presentation drawings, diagrams, and renderings using Rhino, V-Ray, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Produce a full set of construction/working drawings in coordination with Senior Designers/Project Managers and Consultants
- Assist Senior Designers/Project Managers with establishing and monitoring project budgets and schedules
- Assist Senior Designers/Project Managers with project management responsibilities, helping to ensure good client communication and quality control
- Ensure fulfillment of all contractual requirements for professional services on smaller projects
- Participate in client and consultant coordination on larger projects and serve as primary client and consultant contact on smaller projects
- Exceptional design sense with strong graphic and technical skills (e.g. Rhino, V-Ray, and Adobe Creative Suite)
- Motivated, independent, flexible, and cooperative problem solver with a strong work ethic and excellent communication skills with the ability to self-edit work and command a high level of accuracy
- Work closely with the project team, consultants, contractors, and agency officials while also being able to take direction and initiative with minimal supervision
- Research materials, products, and building systems throughout the design and construction phases
- Provide informal feedback and some direction to Junior Designers and Interns; serve as a mentor, resource, and guide
M1DTW is an award-winning, design-driven multidisciplinary architecture studio that produces thoughtful environments for people to do their best work.
Based in Detroit, M1DTW’s clients range from emerging entrepreneurs to established cultural and educational institutions, with projects ranging from new construction and adaptive reuse to branding and environments. Since its founding in 2000, the studio has completed over one-hundred commissioned works and excels at delivering innovative projects to clients.
M1DTW offers employees a creative working environment, room for professional growth, and an excellent benefits package, including 401(k) and ARE reimbursement. Benefits include paid time off, and pay for 8 Federal Holidays and 1 ‘Flex’ Holiday. We also offer an alternate work schedule with six (6) additional Fridays off each summer to help with work/life balance. M1DTW Architects is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates must be a U.S. citizen, hold a green card, or have U.S. work authorization.
Please email your resume, portfolio sample of academic & professional work, salary requirements, U.S. work status, and availability to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Interest: DESIGNER Position” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please. For more information about the studio, please visit our website: M1DTW.com