or over thirty years Johnson Favaro has focused their work on schools, libraries, and community centers, as well as cultural and civic institutions. The firm is founded on the principle that high quality and inspiring architecture in support of the social infrastructure of which these institutions are a part is crucial in the advancement of our democracy and civil society.
Today, we’re looking for Design Associate candidates with AT LEAST 3-4 years of post-intern experience to contribute to the continued success of the firm.
Position Summary: The Design Associate is responsible for general project development and maintenance via model building, building design, document development, programming, and master planning. This position develops plans, elevations, sections, 3D renderings, and architectural details. Works under general guidance and direction of the Associate Principal or Senior Design Associate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Collaborate with Principal Architects and other team members to develop concepts and design options.
- Develop materials for and participate in client meetings
- Develop visual aids though sketching, physical models, 3D modeling, diagrams and massing studies.
- Utilize BIM technologies in development of 3D models of buildings and their components.
- Develop space planning, block planning, and adjacency diagrams in coordination with building program.
- Evaluate and select building systems and materials and prepare details incorporating selections.
- Coordinate building systems to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Implement sustainable design principles into the design and environment.
- Analyze site incorporating survey, geotechnical, hydrological, environmental, social, economic and contextual conditions.
- Participate in development of the program and other pre-design efforts.
- Ensure that design intent is maintained through documentation and construction.
- Prepare contract documents.
- Resolve design issues and questions through communication with vendors, consultants, and other members of design team.
- Organize and lead consultant coordination; includes meetings, set up of schedules and review/ mark-up of consultant work.
- Attend regular off-site meetings with contractors and clients including progress checks at jobsites.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following.
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images, using knowledge of construction materials and processes to develop constructable proposals for building assemblies; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Oral Communication/Written Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings. Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Adaptability/Dependability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events. Takes responsibility for own actions; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Innovation/Motivation/Iteration – Displays original thinking and creativity; Displays passion and optimism; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Develops and presents multiple approaches to solving design problems. Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules their own work to meet project schedules developed by managers; Develops realistic action plans.
- Quality/Quantity – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Monitors own work to ensure quality. Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner.
Please submit Resume and Portfolio to Sarah Grace at firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration