The Assistant Architect contributes to the design and construction of individual architecture projects within Prospect Park which include the restoration of landmarked buildings and monuments and the design and construction of new sustainable buildings under the guidance of the Senior Architect. The Assistant Architect researches and designs components of projects and assists with the production of Contract Documents for submissions.
- Salary Range; $70,000 – 75,000 annual gross earnings
- Pay is based on a number of factors including job-related knowledge, skills, and experience
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY JOB OUTCOMES
- Collaborate with Prospect Park staff, Design & Construction team and consulting engineers to research and put together thoughtful, well designed projects that are technically proficient, inspiring and efficiently serve the needs of Prospect Park
- Set deadlines, assign responsibilities and monitor progress of projects with the assistance of the Senior Architect
- Work with the project team to assemble Contract Document and NYC Buildings Dept. packages including professional drawing and specification sets for submission to New York City Agencies for the purpose of approvals and procurement of work
- Collaborate with Prospect Park staff, Design & Construction team, and consulting engineers to research and contribute to production projects that are technically sound and serve the needs of Prospect Park and project users
- Present and submit individual projects to New York City agencies having authority over architecture projects within Prospect Park including the NYC Parks Dept., Brooklyn Borough Board, NYC Landmarks and Preservation Commission, NYC Public Design Commission, NYC Buildings Dept. among others
- Assist the Senior Architect and Architect II with submissions of individual projects to New York City agencies having authority over architecture projects within Prospect Park including the NYC Parks Department, Brooklyn Borough Board, NYC Landmarks and Preservation Commission, NYC Public Design Commission, and NYC Buildings Department among others
- Coordinate, administer and monitor individual architectural construction projects within the park to ensure projects are being built well, within budget and within the allotted time frame
- Travel to various parts of the Park as needed to carry out duties.Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or Preservation Architecture
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience working on architectural projects for architectural firm or a government entity involved in public projects
- Experience presenting and communicating design concepts, analysis and conclusions
- Experience with NYC building code, DOB filing, ADA, zoning and energy code requirements
- A valid NYS Driver’s License
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes)
- Passion for the Alliance Mission & Core Values: A passion for public parks and environmental conservation combined with a commitment to treating others with respect, appreciating individual differences and embracing the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ethics & Integrity: Earns the trust and respect of others through a consistent commitment to integrity, honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Professional/Technical Knowledge. A demonstrated understanding of building design and construction from site analysis and programming through close out. Understanding of structural, mechanical, electrical, and/or architecturally specialty system/components
- Project Design, Development, Planning & Analysis. The ability to analyze programmatic requirements and site and budget restraints to produce designs that address project criteria effectively. Alternately, to be able to assess consulting design professionals’ proposed design solutions. The ability to develop project directives, outlines, projections, budgetary estimates, timelines, resource studies and strategies to meet pertinent building/construction rules regulations and permitting
- Historic Preservation: Knowledge of preservation techniques to preserve, conserve and protect buildings, objects, landscapes or other artifacts of historical significance.
- Architecture Technology: Technically proficient with industry standard software programs used by architects including AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Sketchup. Experience with Revit and 3-D modeling and rendering programs plus.
- Health and Safety Comply with relevant health and safety legislation and regulation and organizational policies. Manages risk including the identification of hazards, assessment of risks and implementation of control measures. Manages own safety and that of others.
- Data Analytics: Demonstrates broad knowledge of information sources that can be used to assess problems and make decisions. Effectively leverages hard data as inputs to making decisions. Thoroughly analyzes impact of possible solutions and decisions and shares probable impacts based on experience. Able to garner insight from abstract data and make appropriate decisions. Think several steps ahead in deciding best course of action, anticipating likely outcomes or implications.
- Self-Management & Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of a team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment. Cooperative, personable, open-minded personal outlook needed to steer project team towards successful goals
- Communication: Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels and to speak across range of technical issues. Excellent communication skills.
- Organizing, Planning & Multi-tasking: Organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Proven ability to set priorities or deliver on priorities set by supervisor, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision. Employee may handle some unusual situations independently. Proven ability to coordinate activities. Employee organizes and carries out most assignments in accordance with standard practices, instructions or previous training.
- Analysis & Sound Judgement: Analytical and trouble shooting skills. Ability to make sound judgements. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness. Ability to make considered decisions on the spot.
- Self-Management & Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of a team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment. Cooperative, personable, open-minded personal outlook needed to steer project team towards successful goals.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Committed to working in collaboration with others, promoting cooperation and commitment to others and being a positive team contributor.
- Technology: Proficient with requirements of automated technologies that support area of responsibility including G-Suite and Microsoft Office Suite
Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is normally performed in the field which subjects the employee to various external elements including potentially adverse weather conditions.
- Requires operating a motor vehicle; standing for extended periods of time; use of a desktop, laptop or video display terminal and identifying and distinguishing colors and shades of color.
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion.
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms.
Diversity Makes Us Stronger Together: Prospect Park Alliance serves park users of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and strives to reflect this diversity throughout our operations and in our leadership, staff, stakeholders and supporters. We know that by creating an equitable and inclusive workplace built on mutual respect and the appreciation of difference, our employees will feel safe to express themselves, voice their opinions and work together to find common ground and solutions. Integral to this vision is our longstanding commitment to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.