Winkelman Architecture (see our work: www.winkarch.com) is seeking an architectural designer or licensed architect with 3 to 8+ years of experience in the profession with a focus on residential work. We are a 10 person firm located on Union Wharf in Portland, Maine, above the working waterfront (as well as successfully working remote..). We are known for excellence in design and having a craft oriented approach to design and detail. Connections to nature and the use of daylight are paramount. Renewable energy sources and the use of sustainable materials and methods are integrated whenever possible. Our work represents a broad range of scale, style and geography. We have been widely published. We have a highly collaborative environment, partnering with each other, clients, builders and consultants throughout the design process. Our work environment offers a great deal of workday flexibility. We find great joy in creating unique places for living, working and playing – as well as crafting many of the ‘things’ that make those places special.
- The candidate must be able to work well as part of a design team, making immediate contributions and taking initiative to complete work, and supporting the production drawing, specification and CA process
- Alternately, the candidate also needs the confidence and aptitude to independently run projects, beginning to end, on their own.
- The ability to collaborate with a design team, including programming, conceptual and schematic design, design development, construction drawings and construction administration is essential.
- Working directly with clients and consultants is expected.
- 3 to 7+ years of experience as an architectural designer/architect.
- Experience producing fastidiously detailed and thorough production drawings for custom, high-end residential design.
- Strong knowledge of the design process, including compiling a set of well coordinated construction drawings.
- Strong ability for 3 dimensional thinking and graphic presentation skills.
- Computer competency is a must. Proficiency with ArchiCAD would be ideal, but not a must for the right candidate.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, to communicate clearly and succinctly on demanding projects.
- Confidence sketching is essential.
- Background in interior design and detailing is a plus.
- Experience or interest in taking on the management of larger projects would be a plus
- A work history that includes hands-on experience in construction or cabinetry/millwork is a plus
Though the listed qualifications are all important, we are willing to adapt to the right person/skill set if they seem like a good fit in our dynamic practice.
- Compensation is competitive, and is commensurate with experience.
- We offer full paid health insurance.
- Paid standard holidays.
- 3 weeks paid vacation/personal time to start.
- 401k retirement plan with matching.
- Support for professional development
Email resume with images of relevant work. No phone calls please. Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Winkelman Architecture, 41 Union Wharf, Ste 4, Portland, ME. 04101 – www.winkarch.com