KGP design studio (KGP), a design-focused Architecture and Urban Design firm located in DC since 2000. While we are small, we are engaged in a broad range of public and private sector projects, including several high-profile projects in the DC area. Public transit is our focus, including architectural design and planning for transit networks such as Metro or Purple Line to station design for facilities such as Union Station, DC or Penn Station, NYC. Also, in our purview and a critical component of any of these systems, is public space and facilities incorporating walkability and active mobility. As a result, we work as a collaborative design team with multiple stakeholders on design issues with impact at the scale of the city, public plaza, or a street corridor to architectural or urban design challenges of a particular structure, such as a TOD residential project or a security structure for active mobility. See our website at www.kgpds.com
Architect/Urban Designer Position
KGP is seeking a qualified individual with a broad and balanced range of expertise, equally capable of management, design coordination, and technical skills. As a small office, involvement in multiple aspects of a project is nurtured in our office structure, as is a collaborative spirit. Experience in urban design and architecture is a must, while a background in transit design is preferred.
Responsibilities: The position requires the multiple roles of design coordination, production of drawings, and management of projects as well as client interaction. The applicant needs to demonstrate abilities in the following areas:
- Experience in managing and team collaboration with large complex projects in all phases of design and production
- Preferred experience in transit and urban design projects
- Defines program requirements and establishes design parameters based on client requirements and working with a senior architect/senior urban designer and project Principal
- Creates and develops overall design concepts, schematic, design development and construction documents through detail level; formulates/leads design presentation strategies and makes presentations
- Collaborates with design team members during the implementation of design to ensure clarity and quality of concept is maintained through detail level
- Collaboration with other design/construction disciplines, interacting with client technical staff and client meetings
- A curiosity of, and commitment to our built environment, and communities and the role the profession can play to make a change
- Professional degree in Architecture and or Urban Design
- Proficient in Revit, Rhino, and AutoCAD, (MicroStation would also be helpful for some clients)
- Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office experience required.
- 3D modeling/rendering, Microstation, Rhino 3D, Grasshopper, Microsoft Teams experience a plus
- Construction document and Job Captain experience required,
- Experience writing reports, documenting the basis of design, and general material used by the firm and clients
- A minimum of six (6) years’ experience
- Architect license a plus
Salary based on applicants’ abilities and experience.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and sample portfolio combined in one (1) PDF file, and include salary requirements. Email PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attention your cover letter and email to “HR Manager.”
Include the position you are applying for and your name in the subject line of your email only (Architect/Designer – Name). Only candidates that meet our criteria may be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Please visit www.kgpds.com for more information about our firm.