HYL seeks an Arch III to join its award-winning design studio in Washington, DC.
We are an energetic, fresh-thinking practice, specializing in the design of dynamic and effective workplaces. Our mission is to deliver the highest quality design to our clients, who represent a wide range of business sectors and geographic locations. Our collaborative work environment provides opportunity for interaction, learning and growth in all aspects of architectural practice. DESCRIPTION
Successful candidates will ideally have strong portfolios, excellent verbal and graphic communications skills, an ability to work collaboratively with clients and team members, and an enthusiasm for design excellence and learning. One can expect to participate as a team member working with senior staff and Principals with a collaborative ‘can do’ attitude. The position offers an opportunity to work on high profile projects and gain progressive responsibility while developing design, detailing and project leadership skills. HYL is a small firm with a high level of interaction and an ability to work directly with the Principals and clients on award winning projects. Motivated team members who consistently demonstrate commitment to the firm’s vision and goals in innovative and thoughtful design, high quality deliverables, time management, collaborative spirit and client service will have opportunities for advancement in the firm and additional leadership responsibilities on projects. As an Arch III, one will be responsible for planning out all presentations, knowledgeable about overall project schedule and process, and will accept a higher level of ownership of the project. In this position, one will be responsible as the team leader of a small project and key leader of a large project. In this role, one will not require much direction from a supervisor but will still interact with a supervisor. Performs and completes work on projects under the general direction and supervision of a team leader (project manager or Principal). Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates strong understanding of the architectural design process from programming through construction administration and an understanding of team member responsibilities with ability to lead and develop design concepts.
- Lead the development of the design from initial concept through construction administration under the direction of the team leader.
- Responsible for the organization, preparation and completion of design presentation deliverables from programming to design phases, including furniture. Presentation materials may include 3-dimensional Revit modeling, rendering and Photoshop illustrations, and design package preparation in InDesign.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the design and process for developing standards for furniture and furniture selection. May lead selection of furniture, conduct furniture and materials research, and develop specification packages under the direction of the team leader.
- As part of the team, presents design in client presentations, ongoing project meetings, and field / site visits.
- Ability to conduct special topic meetings with clients, with or without senior staff present.
- Executes project goals and firm goals of design excellence, required deliverables quality, and design execution.
- Demonstrates initiative and is proactive with responsibilities and taking on tasks, seeking advice and review from senior project leader(s) when appropriate.
- Participates and collaborates in construction document planning session, including project milestones, and construction document work planning.
- Actively supports and develop office policies, standards, procedures, and BIM/computer data use policies.
- Leads team to develop and produce construction documents, specifications, including project specific details
- Demonstrates an understanding of consultant roles and communicates and coordinates as required.
- Understanding of existing field conditions and anticipates the impact on the design and detailing of the construction documents.
- Takes ownership of the submittal and RFI review and response process, including tracking and schedule monitoring to meet HYL’s contractual responsibility.
- Maintains project design goals throughout the Construction Document and Construction Administration process.
- Conducts weekly site meetings and walk-throughs
- Leads and organizes the process for issuing Bulletins/Addenda as required
- Leading the punchlist and back punch efforts
- Familiar with building codes and understanding of application throughout all project phases.
- Takes responsibility and ownership of meeting project deadlines and organizing and directing work efforts as an individual and for junior team members.
- Be a resource for the junior staff, especially for those on your team(s). Supervise junior staff on your team.
- Manage and direct project consultants with the ability to be the primary contact.
- Serves as project record keeper to include maintaining network organization of all project correspondence and minutes for the use of the team.
- Assists project manager in the documentation of meetings and client decisions. Tracks and follows up on open issues on projects.
- Ability to assist project manager with client correspondence
- Understanding of project schedule and budget, including assisting project manager with the development of and adherence to both.
- Works with utmost confidentiality on client projects, protecting client and firm proprietary information and methodology.
- Demonstrates an ongoing and consistent ability to promote and exemplify the HYL team culture in the design community and within the studio.
- Ability to work on multiple projects of various sizes and phases at one time.
- Participates in marketing efforts and project interviews.
- Attends design community events as a representative of HYL.
- Embodies confidence and competency to identify project issues to senior leadership as an advocate for the project for effective and expeditious resolution.
ON-SITE On-site attendance is required for aspects of the project, including but not limited to the following:
- field surveys
- client design presentations
- mock-up review
- material review / selection
- showroom tours
- site tours
- 4-10 years of full time experience, mostly focused on commercial office interiors and in all phases of a project
- LEED, WELL or fitwel accreditation a plus
- Bachelors or Masters degree in architecture or interior design, or related field, from an accredited school
- Strong Revit skills and ability to coach others in Revit
- Actively pursuing architectural or NCIDQ licensure, completed licensure preferred
Exempt, Full Time, Travel may be required, Overtime may be required.
HYL is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants who are able to perform the job responsibilities of the position with reasonable accommodations will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability or national origin as required by applicable law.