HYL seeks an Arch II to join its award-winning design studio in Washington, DC.
We are an energetic, fresh-thinking practice, specializing in the design of dynamic and effective workplaces. Our mission is to deliver the highest quality design to our clients, who represent a wide range of business sectors and geographic locations. Our collaborative work environment provides opportunity for interaction, learning and growth in all aspects of architectural practice.
Successful candidates will ideally have strong portfolios, excellent verbal and graphic communications skills, an ability to work collaboratively with clients and team members, and an enthusiasm for design excellence and learning. One can expect to participate as a team member working with senior staff and Principals with a collaborative ‘can do’ attitude. The position offers an opportunity to work on high profile projects and gain progressive responsibility while developing design, detailing and project leadership skills. HYL is a small firm with a high level of interaction and an ability to work directly with the Principals and clients on award winning projects. Motivated team members who consistently demonstrate commitment to the firm’s vision and goals in innovative and thoughtful design, high quality deliverables, time management, collaborative spirit and client service will have opportunities for advancement in the firm and additional leadership responsibilities on projects.
As an Arch II, one should be able to work more independently on aspects of a project and should have generally completed all phases of a project.
Performs and completes work on projects under the general direction and supervision of a team leader (project manager/director, design principal or technical director).
- Has completed several projects of various sizes from programming through construction administration and has a general understanding of the architectural design process and a general understanding of team member responsibilities with ability to take on a portion of a project and oversee junior staff.
- Contributes in the general preparation of the design from initial concept through construction administration under the direction of the team leader.
- Responsible for a specific portion of a project to take from concept to construction with supervision.
- Prepares client presentation materials, including 3-dimensional Revit modeling, rendering and Photoshop illustrations, and design package preparation in InDesign.
- Contributes to the selection of furniture, conducts furniture and materials research, and participates in the development of specification packages.
- Participates in client presentations, ongoing project meetings, and field / site visits.
- Demonstrates initiative and is proactive with responsibilities and taking on tasks, seeking advice and review from senior project leader(s) when appropriate.
- Participates and collaborates in construction document planning session, including project milestones, and construction document work planning.
- Actively supports office policies, standards, procedures, and BIM/computer data use policies.
- Responsible for portions of the project details and the overall contribution of the development and production of construction documents and specifications, including project specific details
- Familiar with consultant roles and communicates and coordinates as required.
- Demonstrates an awareness between field conditions and documentation.
- Manages submittal and RFI logs and response transmittals. Provides initial review of submittals and RFIs for final review with supervisor.
- Maintains project design goals throughout the Construction Document and Construction Administration process.
- Conducts weekly site meetings and walk-throughs with project supervisor.
- Assists project manager in writing site observation reports.
- Contributes to and organizes the process for issuing Bulletins/Addenda as required.
- Performs the punchlist and back punch efforts.
- Basic familiarity with common building codes and ability to apply them through all project phases.
- Takes responsibility for meeting project deadlines for individual work efforts.
- Be a resource for the junior staff, especially for those on your team(s). Supervise a junior staff member on certain tasks.
- Correspond and coordinate with project consultants.
- Assist project manager or supervisor with project record keeping, including maintaining network organization of project correspondence and minutes for the use of the team.
- Assist project manager in the documentation of meetings and client decisions.
- Ability to assist project manager with client correspondence
- Understanding of project schedule and budget.
- Works with utmost confidentiality on client projects, protecting client and firm proprietary information and methodology.
- Demonstrates an ongoing and consistent ability to work within the HYL team culture.
- Ability to work on several projects of various sizes and phases at one time.
- Participates in project interviews.
- Attends design community events as a representative of HYL.
On-site attendance is required for aspects of the project, including but not limited to the following:
- field survey
- client design presentations
- mock-up review
- material review / selection
- showroom tours
- site tours
- 2-6 years of full time experience
- Actively pursuing architectural or NCIDQ licensure
- LEED, WELL or fitwel accreditation a plus
- Bachelors or Masters degree in architecture or interior design, or related field, from an accredited school
- Strong Revit skills and ability to coach others in Revit
- Strong communication and graphics skills including: Revit, Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Office, and InDesign
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Collaborative and professional work ethic·
Exempt, Full Time, Travel may be required, Overtime may be required.
HYL is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants who are able to perform the job responsibilities of the position with reasonable accommodations will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability or national origin as required by applicable law.