Committed to educating the next generation of leaders and to inspiring innovation and advancing entrepreneurship, NYIT enrolls approximately 10,000 students on campuses in North America, China and the Middle East. As a forward-thinking institution NYIT has pioneered educational practices to serve student needs since 1955. NYIT offers 90 undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees in 50 fields of study and is home to students from more than 100 countries and from 50 states. Its seven schools and colleges include: School of Architecture and Design; College of Arts and Sciences, School of Engineering and Computing Sciences; School of Health Professions; School of Management; College of Osteopathic Medicine, and the newly formed School of Interdisciplinary Studies and Education.
- Two positions availables- one at our Old Westbury campus and the at our Manhattan Campus
Include but are not limited to
- Reporting to the Director of Digital Technologies and Fabrication the Workshop Assistant will assist in operations of an integrated analog and digital fabrication shop in Manhattan
- Collaborate with NYIT faculty and administrators and assist in; installing, maintaining and continually improving equipment for a state of the art wood shop and digital fabrication lab
- Administration of safety procedures and their coordinator with other NYIT administration including the implementation of operation procedures (OP) and Machine Safety Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Assist with technology budgets and reports in addition to fabrication lab policies, procedures, tutorials and purchases.
- Train and supervise student staff in the interest of advancing a culture of experimental making.
- Researching and experimenting with the capabilities of traditional wood shop tools, digital tools and various other methods
- Bachelor’s Degree in architecture or a related field and have at least 2-5 years of advanced fabrication experience in an academic and/or professional settings
- Experience operating three or more of the following digital fabrication systems: 3D printing, CNC milling, laser cutting, vacuum forming, and robotic arms.
- Experience with CAD/CAM programming; Rhino, Revit and Autocad
- Experience using, installing and maintaining software for 3D modeling, scripting and/or controlling robotic, CNC, and/or Arduino systems is also beneficial.
- Experience using and repairing woodworking equipment, and have the ability to creatively integrate traditional analog fabrication methods with emerging digital techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to lift heavy equipment and materials.
- Must be flexible to travel between campus locations in Old Westbury and Manhattan if needed to assist on specific projects, receive training or install equipment.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability