Plant Prefab Seeks Studio Manager
Plant Prefab, www.plantprefab.com, is the first prefabricated home factory in the nation dedicated to sustainable construction, materials, processes, and operations. Plant manufactures custom and single/multifamily homes that are high-quality, healthy, and durable. With their patented building system, Plant delivers homes in half the time, and at a lower cost with less waste than traditional site-based contractors. Plant models are fully customizable and available to individuals, developers, and architects. Plant was spun out of LivingHomes, www.livinghomes.net, and funding was provided by Amazon Alexa Fund and Obvious Ventures, www.obviousventures.com. The company operates out of 62,000 sf facility in Rialto, California.
Plant’s Design Studio, LivingHomes, is a designer and developer of modern, prefabricated homes that combine world-class architecture with an unparalleled commitment to healthy and sustainable construction. The first LivingHome, designed by Ray Kappe, FAIA, was installed in eight hours. It became the first home ever to receive a LEED for Homes Platinum rating. Twenty-one LivingHomes have been or will soon be certified LEED Platinum and five LEED Gold, making the company one of the most experienced designers of homes at the highest level of LEED certification. LivingHomes have garnered significant industry recognition including the AIA’s top sustainable award, Architizer’s Jury and People Choice Awards, Green Builder Magazine’s Home of Year, Business 2.0 “World’s 11 Coolest Products”, Business Week’s “Architectural Wonders of the World”, and the Sustainable Quality Awards Grand Prize. LivingHomes are available in standard or customized configurations to builders, developers and individuals. The company, with team partners Brooks + Scarpa and Community Corporation, recently won a $1M grant from Los Angeles County to develop a homeless housing solution.
We seek a key individual who will manage our Design Studio. You will manage a small, growing team of architects and designers. The ideal candidate will be based in the Los Angeles area, have 7-10 years experience specializing in single and multi-family residential Type V construction, and be a Licensed Architect in California. You must also have broad knowledge of architecture principles and practices, utilize advanced techniques and have responsibility for reviewing finished plans, specifications to meet office standards and code compliance. This is a hands-on, full-time position.
- Manage current design staff in LivingHomes studio located in Santa Monica, CA.
- Create, monitor and track project schedules and estimates.
- Ensure projects are expertly planned, coordinated, permitted and administered, on time and on budget, and that clients are extremely well served during the process.
- Support sales and marketing personnel at plant prefab.
- Provide oversight and monitoring of junior staff.
- Determine scope of work and prepare proposals, estimates and contracts as needed.
- Ensure clients receive superior service.
- Work with design staff to develop standard homes and building components.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A licensed California Architect.
- Broad knowledge of residential building systems, Type V construction, building and zoning codes and residential construction costs.
- Ability to manage teams to design and deliver projects through all project phases, on time and budget, including allocating resources and time and coordinating consultants.
- Ability to manage multiple project schedules, keeping them up-to-date and keeping team members on track for meeting schedule goals.
- Ability to lead project teams to common goals, mentor junior staff, encourage teamwork and communication, and inspire the team with a sincere work ethic.
- Develop staffing plan and attract and develop personnel as office grows.
- Familiarity with Revit, including utilizing such software for residential and multi-family home design
- High proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and MS Project, or similar.
- Commitment to and knowledge of market trends and best practices in sustainable design.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills, with team members, clients and consultants.
- An eye for detail and a desire to perform at a high level.
- A self-starter who takes initiative and responsibility for their work and actions.
- LEED certification experience and knowledge of prefabrication systems is a plus.
Salary, performance-based bonus and stock options commensurate with experience and skills. Other benefits include the opportunity to work with great architects and to create homes that improve the quality of living for people and the planet.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No applications will be accepted without a cover letter and cv with relevant project experience.