BIG Architecture seeks an Urban Designer/Architect to join us in our NYC office. As an Urban Designer/Architect, you will be responsible for design and technical production on projects of varying scales. This will encompass conceptual design, the technical side of production of drawing sets, grading and planting design, and landscape materiality.
We seek an applicant who has:
- A professional degree in landscape architecture or architecture with landscape-related degree (Ecology, Urbanism, Urban Design, Environmental Design) and 8+ years professional experience as a landscape designer/architect
- Excellent communication skills, fluent in English- spoken and written
- Strong conceptual and design skills with sensitivity in the human scale
- Ability to express design ideas quickly, clearly and succinctly
- Ability to develop design options in collaboration with and in support of architectural design teams
- Ability to prepare, develop and edit drawings and models as they relate to the project
- Proven experience with grading design, planting design, natural systems, materials and technical aspects of landscape architecture
- Strong organizational skills, able to work under pressure, meet deadlines and budget time
- A flexible and open attitude towards new ways of working
- Experience as a designer on built and published references
- Experience working in a leading American or international architecture and/or landscape architecture office
- NYS Landscape Architecture licensure will be an asset
- Assists in preparation of transportation plans and studies, including corridor, greenway, and bicycle/pedestrian feasibility studies.
- Prepare environmental documents in accordance with NEPA and SEPA; including Minimum Criteria Checklists, Categorical Exclusions, Environmental Assessments, Environmental Impact Statements, and other technical reports.
- Prepare community planning studies; including Community Characteristics Reports, Community Impact Assessments, and Indirect and Cumulative Effects Analyses.
- Formulate and conduct technical planning studies in a timely and efficient manner and present results in concise, well-written documents.
Please apply through-