At SOM, we are a collective committed to shaping a better future for our clients, communities and planet. We aspire to create the most sustainable, impactful work through creative, interdisciplinary teams with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. We value those who are passionate about excellence, innovation, integrity, inclusivity, and collaboration. Together we can achieve great things.
Success at SOM Means
- Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the firm.
- Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
- Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work.
- Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the firm.
- Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
- Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work.
A Senior Digital Designer is a leader responsible for supporting project teams in the use of digital tools and processes, as well as keeping SOM at the vanguard in terms of implementing and exploring new digital tools and processes. A person in this role is expected to contribute to and execute those goals accordingly and organize their own efforts in doing so with periodic oversight from a Senior Digital Design Manager. They are emerging leaders, have a strong knowledge of architectural practice and have vested interest in how project data and knowledge is represented and managed.
- Plans, schedules, organizes, and executes digital design efforts for projects under periodic oversight of an F-level, Associate, Associate Director, Director or Partner;
- Organizes own work efforts and that of his/her assigned team where applicable;
- Coordinate digital work-flow of project team members including external collaborators to ensure SOM standards are followed by all;
- Coordinates with Architectural Professionals, Leadership, as well as other Digital Design Professionals to implement SOM standard procedures and protocols to assure continuity and consistency of project documentation process across the office and firm in support of overall firm wide goals;
- Participates in the development of both firm-wide and local office standards, templates, libraries, policies and procedures by interfacing with colleagues in other offices;
- Identifies project BIM requirements and develops effective planning strategies for its implementation;
- Provides both narrowly focused and widely diverse support, leadership and management in production of project BIM;
- Coordinates work of consultants and/or Design-build subcontractors with architectural documents and/or project BIM using collaborative platforms such as Bluebeam, Navisworks, BIM 360, etc.;
- Participates in the coordination and preparation of project specifications, BIM Management Plans and LOD matrices in close collaboration with the Project Manager, Senior Design and Technical Design leaders;
- Supports project document control tasks and maintains quality control of such tasks, especially for archiving digital models, scripts, recording processes, etc. in accordance with SOM’s quality control and records management program;
- Proactively checks, coordinates and integrates the work of all project team members to assure efficient use of digital tools for design and consistency of documentation;
- Identifies, evaluates and documents new and innovative tools and processes to enhance design flexibility, documentation efficiency and presentation clarity;
- Seeks creative and innovative solutions to assigned tasks and develops appropriate research and documentation to support these solutions;
- Supervise junior level Digital Design / Document Control staff;
- Provides ad hoc training as well as plans and implements curated training sessions for entire office;
- Shares knowledge with peers and is a force multiplier of new processes and tools;
- Provides quarterly briefings on new technologies and integration strategies to office leadership;
- Is actively pursuing or has achieved professional accreditation and licensure;
- Is actively pursuing or has achieved LEED professional accreditation.
- Completion of 5 or 6-year architectural degree program;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in design development, architectural design, documentation, and detailing;
- Minimum of 3 years focused professional experience in BIM management, developing and applying digital tools and processes to project work. Large-scale, commercial project experience is required;
- Extensive knowledge of architectural design, documentation, detailing, building materials, construction techniques, building systems selection, related engineering principles, sustainability strategies and building codes;
- General knowledge of programming and functional adjacencies;
- General knowledge of architectural practice including site-planning, civil, structural, mechanical, electrical engineering, and construction;
- Positive attitude and strong desire to empower others;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally, graphically and in writing;
- Demonstrated leadership and management ability;
- Ability to effectively manage time on several projects simultaneously;
- Ability to work effectively with teams;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong problem definition and solving skills;
- Demonstrated expertise in digital tools such as BIM360, Revit, Dynamo, Navisworks, AutoCAD, Bluebeam, Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, scripting and programming;
- Demonstrated expertise in word processing, presentation applications such as PowerPoint and spreadsheets including GSuite.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.