Architect / Project-Architect
3-5 years of experience, Architecture Degree
Studio Modh Architecture is an award winning, Brooklyn based architecture firm that produces carefully crafted, contemporary architecture for institutional and residential clients. We are looking for a new collaborator to grow with us and enable the studio to continue to take on sensational new projects in and around New York.
As a firm driven by a generalist architectural philosophy, everyone within the office is expected and encouraged to take on many tasks. The position of “Architect” will work directly with the Principal Philip Ryan, who worked at Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects for sixteen years before forming his own practice, in all stages of design, documentation, and construction of one to two projects at a time. Continuity is important to the production of quality buildings and so staff stay on projects from start to finish, learning all aspects of the client, design, and construction processes.
Once hired, it is intended that in a short period of time the new Architect would take on the role of Project Architect, working with the principal, to design, document, manage tasks, and communicate directly with the Client and Contractor.
- Bachelor of Architecture or Masters of Architecture
Qualities we are looking for
- Energetic, communicator
- Efficient and organized
- Strong work ethic
- 3-5 years of professional experience in an architecture/interior design firm
- Interested in working in small studio with a variety of tasks
- An interest in seeing designs get built
- Ability to work with less experienced staff in a respectful, constructive manner
- Capability to write memos, emails, and letters
- Experience and knowledge of issues related to consultant coordination
Abilities we are looking for
- Advanced knowledge of schematic and construction documentation including organizing a construction set, scheduling, and consultant coordination
- Autodesk Revit proficiency required
- Autodesk AutoCad proficiency required
- Adobe Software Suite proficiency required
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required
- Rhino proficiency recommended
- Maxwell or V-Ray proficiency
- 3D printer model making capability
- Hand Drawing capability
- Online resources/tools used in project management
- Knowledge of AIA standard suite of documents (contracts, RFI, ASI, Change orders, requisitions)
- Competitive salary for experience level in New York City
- Monthly Healthcare
- Two weeks of vacation
- Full Time 40 hour/week position, city/state/federal taxes withheld
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Reimbursement for licensure examination fees (study material provided)
- Bonuses based on performance and annual firm profitability
Studio Modh will review resumes received and reach out for a follow up interview to take place at the Studio. Applicants are encourage to bring a copy of their portfolio, resume, and any working drawings they personally worked on in a previous employment experience. Professional references should be included on the resume. If the conversation is a good one, Studio Modh will reach out to the relevant references and evaluate whether the applicant and studio are a good fit. If they are, a salary negotiation will be held and a contract letter issued with an expectation that the applicant start within 1-2 weeks.
The Studio is made up of one principal, one registered architect (besides the principal), three architectural designers, and one studio manager. We work in one room, with vast windows looking out toward the skyline of Manhattan. We work hard and keep a healthy 9-6pm schedule throughout the year – deadlines being the occasional exception. The Principal tries to get the staff out of the office to jobsites, meetings, or education opportunities each week to connect staff to the visceral aspects of the discipline. Quarterly studio trips to Museums, tours, or lectures around the region.
Where we are located
We are located in the Studebaker building in Crown Heights, one of Brooklyn’s great creative hubs that is home to photographers, filmmakers, architects, the HQ of Brooklyn Flea, and the Berg’n beer hall. The building is between Dean and Bergen Streets just west of Franklin Avenue, a dense collection of restaurants and bars that affords great access to Citi Bike stations, the A,C,S,2,3,4, and 5 subway lines as well as numerous buses. There are private bike racks located in lobby of the ground floor of the building as well as outdoor racks on both sides of the building. Numerous tenants offer discounts on their services (yoga, wine-tasting) to the building.