Populous is seeking a motivated individual with 10-20 years of professional architectural experience who would be interested in joining our New York team as a Project Architect.
Populous is a global architecture and design firm that designs the places where people love to be together, like Yankee Stadium, the London Olympics, and the Super Bowl. Over the last 30 years, the firm has designed more than 2,500 projects worth $40 billion across emerging and established markets. Populous’ comprehensive services include architecture, interior design, event planning and overlay, branded environments, wayfinding and graphics, planning and urban design, landscape architecture, aviation and transport design, hotels and hospitality, and sustainable design consulting. Populous has 17 offices on four continents with regional centers in Kansas City, London and Brisbane.
The New York office opened in early 2016. The office is located at 475 Fifth Avenue at the corner of 41st Street, in the heart of midtown and across the street from the New York Public Library and Bryant Park. The office is focusing on a wide range of project types and services including sports and entertainment venues, theatre and performing arts, aviation, convention centers, hospitality, mixed-use projects and interior design. Populous is a dynamic and growing firm with a breadth of skills and experience, including critical thinking and an ability to leverage digital technologies in service of exceptional design.
The position offered presents an opportunity to join in the cultivation of an expanding architectural practice within a global organization with abundant contacts and resources.
Learn how we design the places where people love to be together.
It’s our singular purpose.
We use the power of design to transform neighborhoods, revitalize cities, build relationships and connect people to being part of something bigger.
Populous is where architects and designers of all kinds create moments bigger than ourselves. We’re a global specialized design firm with local roots in Kansas City. Populous offers the best of both worlds: the resources and impact of the architecture giants and the tightly-knit atmosphere and growth opportunities of smaller firms.
WHY we design
To amplify the joy in shared moments.
HOW we do it
+ Architecture + Interior Design + Event Design+ Landscape Design+ Master Planning+ Urban Design+ Graphic Design+ Product Design
WHAT we look for
+ Entrepreneurial spirit+ Down-to-earth nature+ Trendsetting ideas+ Unyielding passion+ Adaptability+ Curiosity+ Vision+ Energy
Do you have the following traits?
Optimistic, proactive, communicative, confident
Goal Oriented: Driven, persistent, tenacious
Observant & Analytical Problem Solver
Self-sufficient who thrives in a project-oriented environment
Disciplined and precise
Adept at managing multiple, changing, quick-paced, time-sensitive projects
Your Essential Job Responsibilities
- Apply technical knowledge and proficiency in the development of architectural solutions to maintain and preserve design goals for each project.
- Research code requirements and ensure feasibility of design.
- Responsible for following and possibly managing project budget, work plans, consultants and schedule. Communicates with Project Manager regarding key deliverable dates and conformance to workplan.
- Provide office leadership including professional development, coaching and mentoring of younger staff.
- Meet client specifications, create and propose budget and time estimations.
- Maintain a collaborative professional working relationship with the Project Leadership Team (i.e. Project Designer, Project Manager, and Principal in Charge).
- Act as an intermediary between the client and the architect team.
- Develop design ideas, diagrams, digital models, presentation materials and production work for numerous project types;
- Coordinating technical drawings with consultants;
- Develop solutions to detailed technical problems;
- Foster on-going communication through team meetings, minutes, and up-date memos to project team including consultants.
- Ensure project documentation and contracts follow the standards set forth by Populous policy.
- Construction administration including processing of submittals, RFI’s, and other project documentation during construction.
- Coordinating team effort to complete a project promptly and successfully.
- Ensure the team is working effectively and keeping to schedule and budget.
- Quality assurance including review of work, communicating needs and concerns to project staff.
- Define staff requirements for projects as needed or directed.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / LICENSURE:
- Bachelor’s degree (required) in Architecture from an NAAB accredited program, Masters Degree in Architecture (preferred).
- 10-20 years of experience in architectural practice with prior experience in all phases of architectural projects.
- Registered Architect with a current license. NCARB registration preferred.
- Project design experience with sport stadia, arenas, performance venues, convention centers, hospitality, and aviation a strong plus.
- Proficiency and working knowledge of the following design software and applications: Revit, Newforma and AutoCAD.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Strong relationship-building and problem solving skills.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Strong knowledge of design, construction methodology, material application, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
- Knowledge of architectural building systems.
- Thorough understanding of project work plans, schedules, staffing, and budgets a must.
- Advanced knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Ability to communicate professionally both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work in team environment.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Highly self-motivated personality.
- Travel will be required.
- Overtime will be required.
4 time- Fast Company Most Innovative Company
#21 – Architect Magazine’s Architect 50 List
250 International, national and local design awards
FIND US HERE:
- Instagram: @WeArePopulous
- Twitter: @Populous
- email: email@example.com
- Website: https://populous.com/careers
Populous offers a competitive salary, bonus and benefit packages, including medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k, flexible spending accounts, paid time off and continuing education benefits. Populous is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local laws.