BIG is a group of 500+ architects, engineers, urbanists, inventors, researchers and business minds from all over the world who are based in our Copenhagen, New York, London and Barcelona offices. Our built work ranges from the most diverse urban playground and Michelin-star dining – to affordable housing that feels everything but and a school among the verdant fjords of the Faroe Islands. Our vision spans traveling at supersonic speed with Hyperloop One to living in floating cities and eventually Mars! While we are led by a group of expert partners, directors and associates – a flat hierarchy and collaborative spirit are essential to our BIG ecosystem. We share our collective knowledge and expansive network through study trips and educational workshops – BIG School offers in-house lessons while BIG Picture brings in industry experts to inspire and invigorate. We are infectiously ambitious and unified by the shared mission to craft the world we want to live in, to give form to our future one project at a time.
We are seeking a Model Maker to join BIG NYC’s expanding model shop team. You will work with project teams to build models and teach fabrication techniques to promote a positive culture of model making at BIG NYC. The BIG NYC office is over 200 people and growing, with offices in London and our headquarters in Copenhagen.
- High proficiency in Rhino for physical modelling; knowledge of Grasshopper preferred and Autodesk Revit, a plus.
- Reading and interpreting architectural drawings
- Experience in prepping files for laser cutting and 3d printing
- Proficiency in operating and maintaining workshop machinery to include, but not limited to the table saw, band saw, drill press, belt and disc sander, paint spray booth, laser cutters, 3d printers and CNC router
- Ability to plan and build a variety of architecture models (topographic, study, presentation, etc.) in different materials including wood, paper, foam and acrylic
- Dexterity in hand cutting and assembly of architecture models. Additionally, experience with the following is also helpful:
- Working in professional design environment
- Fine art shipping and transportation
- Painting and sculpting
- Fine woodworking
- Knowledge of joinery, adhesives, paints, finishes, building materials, and fasteners
We seek a person who:
- Is organized, structured and both big-picture-savvy and detail-oriented
- Is capable of multi-tasking (often varying in scale and scope)
- Candidate can demonstrate an enthusiasm for experimentation and creative problem solving
- Has self-confidence and persistence, and is confident with decision making
- Can demonstrate an attention to detail, and an appreciation for production quality
- Is proactive and who also completes tasks with a sense of urgency
- Is a good colleague and a team-player who wants to engage in BIG’s unique office culture
Diversity has been part of our DNA since BIG’s foundation. A multitude of cultures and backgrounds creates a new point of reference which leads to amazing insights. At BIG, we celebrate and support diversity because it makes our team, work and the built environment better. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and take affirmative action to employ equally regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.