Description of role
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Marketing and Communications Manager will work with departments and programs across the organization to plan and implement communications strategies that support the mission, vision, and activities of Van Alen Institute.
In consultation with the Executive Director and key staff, this position will develop and implement an organization-wide, integrated marketing and communications plan, delivering stimulating and dynamic communications that activate audiences, constituents and media. This role will design, manage, and oversee marketing, communications, public relations, social media and outreach efforts, working collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams, and national and international project partners, to support the design competitions, public programs, research, and other activities of the organization.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will use their editorial and creative writing skills to develop and shape an intelligent voice and energetic message for the organization with the Executive Director, and will ensure the highest caliber communications for the organization, with consistent language, look and tone across all public written materials.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Plan, oversee, and implement organization-wide communications plan.
- Develop and manage the Institute’s communications budget and timeline in consultation with key stakeholders.
- Work closely with internal teams and project partners to strategize, schedule, and execute key press and profile moments for projects, while ensuring alignment with other institutional and external activities.
- Plan and coordinate marketing campaigns to increase awareness of the organization’s work and profile, creating an influential presence in design and general press.
- Be aware of marketing developments in the field and adopt new approaches as needed.
- Write, create, distribute, and edit captivating print marketing materials, including press releases, press kits, general announcements, promotional and narrative content.
- Source captivating imagery to accompany organization projects and publicity.
- Cultivate and maintain media contacts and media partners, act as key contact for media inquiries and at events, recommend media plan for specific series and initiatives, and secure placement in print, television, radio, as well as digital and social media.
- Generate and implement new content ideas for digital initiatives, and the Institute’s social media accounts and website, including crafting and posting original content, event photography and videos, and web albums on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram.
- Develop and coordinate email communications and outreach that promotes and supports the Institute’s projects and activities, collaborating with project teams to achieve visibility and increase audience.
- Track and analyze results of campaigns to optimize future performance and growth.
- Monitor broadcast, electronic, social media, and print coverage, and provide reports, and maintain archive of media coverage and manage press clippings, to be shared internally and with key stakeholders.
- Work with external designers, photographers, vendors, editors and consultants as needed.
- Work collaboratively with internal departments to develop and maintain relationships with constituents and contact lists.
- Develop and manage internal and external review processes for communications.
- In consultation with key stakeholders, set clear communications targets, and report regularly on progress.
- Serve as support for crisis management issues that arise, tactfully and expeditiously providing both direction and resolution.
Qualifications and skills
- 3-5 years’ experience in public relations and communications in non-profit or relevant field.
- Strong interest/ background in journalism, urban studies, architecture, or urban planning.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and visual communication skills.
- Strong copywriting and copyediting skills.
- Demonstrated experience and success in planning and executing cohesive marketing and communications campaigns across content channels, on time and on budget.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize material into effective and impactful campaigns.
- Experience analyzing channels, websites, and campaigns, and implementing learnings.
- Deep familiarity with major design and general press outlets, and proven track record with news media and press, including placement in high profile outlets.
- Experience in creating and implementing social media growth strategies, and using publishing platforms like SproutSocial.
- Proficiency in HTML/CSS, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Google Analytics and other audience tracking analytics.
- Experience with database maintenance and management, and familiarity with Salesforce, Meltwater/Cision, iContact, or comparable database required.
- Competent in executing delegated tasks, communicating progress, and working proactively.
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments and large multi-disciplinary teams, to multi-task and manage several projects at a time, and function under deadline pressure.
This position may recruit and supervise contract and other staff on a discrete project basis, along with interns.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume as a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31, 2017. Due to the volume of applications, only qualified applicants will be contacted. Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits included. Van Alen Institute is an equal opportunity employer.