Landscape Construction Project Resident
The Capital Division at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) manages the entire capital process from start to finish, including scope meetings, design, procurement of contractors and construction completion. We are proud to be the country’s largest employer of landscape architects, with over 100 currently on staff working on in-house and consultant-managed designs. We also have a large pool of architects and engineers, in addition to resident engineers who oversee the daily activities of contractors, budget and procurement staff, and many other talented employees.
- Under supervision, perform landscape architectural work of moderate difficulty and responsibility.
- Assist in all aspects of the landscape construction portion of general construction projects, especially the preservation of existing plant materials during site development.
- Assist the Director of Landscape Construction in overseeing all matters relating to landscape construction, such as directing landscape contractors, suppliers and arborists.
- Monitor landscape operations for compliance with contract specifications and documents.
- Analyze top soil and other horticultural construction submittals for approval.
- Hand-select and tag quality plant material at nurseries.
- Write official reports and memoranda.
- Maintain a database of landscape construction operations.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
- A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect.
Note: A Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in New York State may be required for certain assignments. If required, this license must be maintained for the duration of the assignment.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
- Candidate holds a permanent or non-competitive title.
- Strong and enthusiastic interest in horticulture.
- Ability to read and interpret design and construction drawings as well as other contract documents.
- Technical knowledge of horticultural construction, general construction, and landscape design. Competent knowledge of arboriculture and tree pruning.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, PhotoShop, PowerPoint and 3D rendering a plus.
- Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $55,000 – $61,104 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 6/30/17
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
- Search for Job ID#: 291268
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.