Landscape Architect-Level I
The Capital Division at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) manages the entire capital process from start to finish, including scope meetings, design, procurement of contractors and construction completion. We are proud to be the country’s largest employer of landscape architects, with over 100 currently on staff working on in-house and consultant-managed designs. We also have a large pool of architects and engineers, in addition to resident engineers who oversee the daily activities of contractors, budget and procurement staff, and many other talented employees.
DPR is currently implementing an aggressive capital campaign to build new parks, refurbish existing public spaces and ensure that every New Yorker lives within a 10-minute walk of a park or playground. DPR is committed to improving the lives of future generations by expanding and redefining New York City’s treasured green spaces.
- Under general supervision, serve as lead designer for landscape architecture projects of appropriate complexity and provide support on other design projects.
- Investigate and propose solutions to relevant problems of grading, spatial organization and site utilization. Prepare suitable graphics and presentations to communicate design intent.
- Utilizing AutoCAD and other software, prepare and/or manage the preparation of contract drawings. Develop specifications, cost estimates and estimates of quantities for the proposed work.
- Manage an interdisciplinary project team to ensure timely completion of work.
- Obtain all necessary internal and external approvals for proposed designs.
- Present projects to other governmental agencies and departments, contractors and their representatives, consultants, community members and the general public.
- Review sites and designs with construction and maintenance personnel.
- Monitor progress of construction by reviewing and approving shop drawings. Conduct occasional site inspections for quality assurance.
- A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect; and a master’s degree in landscape architecture (which must be obtained by January 31, 2015) from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
- A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect; and four (4) years full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
NOTE: Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- Proven design ability in landscape architectural work.
- Strong skills in AutoCAD, Photoshop, PowerPoint and SketchUp.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- LEED Certification or a strong knowledge of sustainable and universal design principles.
- Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $65,000 – $72,535 plus excellent benefits
Open Until Filled
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.