SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe extraordinary environments are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in integrating the architecture, engineering and planning disciplines leads to thoughtful and innovative solutions for our clients. According to the 2016 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 6th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
The Detroit, Michigan office of SmithGroupJJR, named one of Southeast Michigan’s Top 100 Workplaces by the Detroit Free Press in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, is looking for an Intermediate Lab Planner to join our team. Our practices offer local, national and international projects of all sizes including opportunities with our other offices. This position can also be in our Phoenix, AZ, Washington D.C., or Chicago, IL locations.
Responsibilities include; but are not limited to:
Project Based Responsibilities:
- • Programming of lab and high-tech facilities:
- Meet with clients/users to develop or validate program requirements.
- Develop space programs and physical plans at variety of scales.
- Interface and lead the project team in executing these requirements.
- Planning of lab and high-tech facilities:
- Collaborate with the project team to develop integrated design solutions.
- Lead documentation of laboratory systems such as casework, lab equipment, and development of laboratory spaces to create next generation settings for discovery.
- Lead the project team in the early stages of the project.
- Lead the team in acquiring and documenting project requirements, and communicate / interface with other team members.
- Mentor junior planners.
Lines of Responsibilities:
- Technical Responsibility: Report to the Planning and Research Director for assurance of technical criteria, brainstorming future trends and participating in the national practice.
- Project Responsibility: Report to Project Manager / Project Designer for day-today project criteria such as schedules, deliverables, and project staffing.
An ideal candidate:
- Is a “Hybrid” Planner with academic and science experience (preferably STEM, health sciences, or health professions), who can support both Science and Technology and Learning practices.
- 10-15 years’ experience in programming, planning of laboratory and high-technology facilities.
- Registered architect required, and LEED AP or LEED GA preferred.
- Must be experienced with academic, research and preferably STEM facilities for College & University Clients.
- Has project experience in a range of project types, complexity and scale.
- Comfortable managing clients, project teams and project processes.
- Well organized, self-motivated with excellent client presentation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, word processing software and other data-based systems.
- Working knowledge of Revit highly desired, along with Sketch-up, Rhino and Grasshopper.
- Ability to travel locally, nationally & internationally up to 20%.
SmithGroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Interested in joining us? Get started today by visiting our website at www.smithgroupjjr.com. Please provide an electronic portfolio of your most recent work.