SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a Space Programmer/Planner for the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
A self-motivated, pro-active, organized, and well-rounded individual that has a basic understanding of the technical aspects of space programming and space planning. In addition, the candidate must possess the skills required to successfully execute project tasks, have a strong work ethic, and be a dynamic team player. This person will be expected to execute work on one or more projects simultaneously as delegated by the Project Lead Manager or Designer.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate core competencies in the following areas. This individual must possess outstanding client interface, leadership and communication skills. Conducts client meetings as needed, ability to analyze and synthesize business information related to occupancy and growth, and assist with overall space programming and planning. Prepare programming documentation and report to client and SOM Project Manager or Designer in charge of account as well as collaborate with and inform Architectural and Interior teams about programming and strategic space planning approach.
- Time management, project implementation, attend client meetings, and facilitating group meetings
- Ability to develop processes and methodologies to understand and analyze both the quantitative and qualitative aspects of square footage analysis, space planning, occupancy and space type performance for a variety of client organizations
- Outstanding verbal, written and graphic communication skills
- Comfortable with technology tools for virtual collaboration and mobile work
- Lead teams as they collect quantitative data and qualitative feedback from user research
- Manage synthesis of program data to space types
- Interface with design studios to ensure the seamless transition of program into the design implementation phase
Desired skills and expertise:
- A Bachelor Degree in a relevant field and 6+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience with higher education, civic buildings, advanced technology industry projects such as R&D labs, biotechnology, pharmaceutical preferred
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Revit, and Microsoft Office Suite required
- Advanced knowledge of MS excel a plus
- Excellent verbal/written skills required
- Flexibility to travel (moderate) required
- LEED GA or AP preferred
- Ability and desire to obtain a professional license in the near future required
- Developing project documents (e.g. spreadsheets, floor plans and planning reports, etc.) for project planning deliverables.
- Creating utilization analyses that include space metric development.
- Coordinating with other disciplines and other internal and external team members
- Assisting with proposal preparation within the architectural discipline.
- Working with the Lead Project Manager, Architect Designer and clients to assess needs and develop an associated project program
- General Programming Skills, Highly efficient in Excel, Analyzing Information, Problem Solving, Attention to Detail.
- A level of familiarity with programs such as AutoCAD, Revit, Excel, and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, specifically) to collaborate with team members who use these programs daily
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM’s employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume and work samples at www.som.com/careers under the San Francisco – Space Programmer/Planner requisition.