SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe that extraordinary projects are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world. According to the 2016 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 6th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
The Detroit, Michigan office of SmithGroupJJR, named one of Southeast Michigan’s Top 100 Workplaces by the Detroit Free Press in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 is looking for an Interior Designer to join our team. Our practices offer local, national and international projects of all sizes including opportunities with our other offices. We are seeking several talented individuals who are committed to design excellence, who thrives in an environment of collaboration and who demonstrates a high degree of creativity and entrepreneurial spirit.
Working with us, you will:
- Manage small to medium-sized projects, including negotiating project scope and fees, job production and quality, fee management and collection, and portions of large projects.
- Lead all phases of the design process including programming and developing workplace standards.
- Prepare, coordinate, and complete construction document packages.
- Research information and create graphics for marketing proposals and materials.
- Lead construction administration efforts with minimal supervision including the tracking of FF&E progression.
- Serve as a resource on interior design issues to others in the office.
- Lead client presentations and visioning sessions to develop programs for clients on small- to medium-sized projects.
- Mentor and train junior and intermediate level staff assisting with performance reviews and goal setting.
- Establish and maintain project staffing requirements consistent with contractual obligations.
- Oversee the design work of others to ensure integrated and cohesive design.
- Be responsible for meeting project deadlines and budget constraints.
An ideal candidate has:
- A professional degree in Interior Design, Architecture or related profession with 7-10 years of related experience/training or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- LEED AP Certification.
- NCIDQ Certification, state credentials, and/or other professional registrations, related to field of specialization.
- Experience in Revit and AutoCAD with 3-D modeling capabilities.
- Active membership in professional organization(s) and takes an active role in local chapters related to field preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to perform work involving independent judgment and to act as project coordinator and leader in all phases of small to medium-sized projects.
- The ability to lead design efforts through all stages of a project.
- The ability to produce and coordinate a complete set of construction documents for permitting and bidding on projects.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working in a team setting, communicating with others, customer satisfaction and technical competence.
SmithGroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Interested in joining us? Get started today by clicking the link below. Be sure to fill in the required information, and submit your cover letter, resume and samples of design work as attachments. Please include salary requirements in your cover letter.