The Collective is a growing, global network of co-living communities. We take a vertically integrated, hands-on approach to property development, leading the process from conception to delivery, then managing and cultivating our own environments with a focus on inspiration, inclusivity and personal growth. Our mission is to create a positive impact at individual and neighborhood scale — with spaces and services that offer game-changing flexibility and convenience, and experiences that redefine what home can be.
We’re looking for highly motivated, switched-on and down-to-earth people, who are willing to roll up their sleeves and bring their best ideas to the table, challenge the status quo and deliver industry-defining results.
About The Role
We are seeking an Interior Architect to join our growing in-house Design Team. This is an opportunity for a designer to join our expanding team and have the opportunity to be instrumental in delivering the Collective’s vision in the US. The Architect will assist Development Managers with the management of external design professionals, generate initial concepts for building design and programming, develop concepts for interiors that align with The Collective’s Brand Standards, and report directly to the Architecture Lead in the US.
We are seeking a passionate and high caliber individual with exceptional creative vision, design flair, leadership qualities, and a deep desire to influence the way people feel in and experience our spaces. They should have experience of managing a team and approaching design in a holistic and experiential way, with the awareness to coordinate interior finishes with architecture, lighting, sound, smell and space activation. Hospitality and multifamily residential experience in the US is required. This role would suit a confident and dynamic individual with precision in execution and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Collaborate with the Design Team to design and define the product of co-living while maintaining the brand’s aesthetic that, in turn, reflects our market and is sensitive to the project parameters.
- Working closely with the Architecture Lead in delivering design and concept document packages. Prepare concept material in formats as mood boards, visualizations and sketches.
- Working on initial programming and building identity / vision of the buildings and carrying this through to construction stages.
- Work with external consultants to coordinate information and proposals that need integrating into a project.
- Working with internal Customer and Operations teams to sign-off on exceptional, yet practical, and cost-effective solutions.
- Ensuring that through design development, projects follow brand standards and best practices, while working with the wider Development Team to do so.
- Implement a working knowledge of buildability issues, design efficiency, US building regulations and technical detailing.
- Bring an extensive knowledge of products and suppliers to drive cost efficiency and design excellence.
- Be thoughtful and suggest ways to streamline procurement process’, specifications and source FF&E that meet brand standards for existing properties and new projects.
- Styling and dressing spaces of completed projects for photoshoots.
Desired Experience & Attributes
- 7- 10 years in the Design & Development Industry, preferably in the hospitality, multifamily residential, retail or entertainment sectors.
- A successful candidate should demonstrate drive, focus, reliability, great organization, creativity, the ability to challenge conventions, confidence, a passion of the development industry and a collaborative approach to their work.
- Excellent design skills and creative flair.
- Proficient in Autocad, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, Bluebeam. Vectorworks, Rhino and Revit experience beneficial.
- Experience managing interior projects, with knowledge of products available in the market.
- Ability to manage multiple external consultants and stakeholders.
- Excellent people and communication skills with experience championing team communication.
- Must espouse strong and efficient decision-making skills.
- This will be a New York based position but must be willing and able to occasionally travel nationally and internationally.
Dependent on experience.
This position is full-time. All employees of The Collective are eligible for our competitive benefits program, which includes 25 days holiday, private healthcare and 401k, training and self-development budget, and a wide variety of social, cultural and company events.