Rice University’s Program in Writing and Communication seeks applicants for a two-year, non-renewable instructor position in Visual Communication & Design. This is a full-time, benefits eligible position.
The primary focus of this position is to collaborate with the faculty and staff of the Program in Writing and Communication (PWC) and its partners to advance visual communication across the various schools, departments, and programs at Rice. The PWC was established in 2012 and includes the Center for Written, Oral and Visual Communication (where this position will be located) and the First-Year Writing-Intensive Seminar Program. We are also actively engaged in Communication in the Disciplines and ESL programming. We have made a strategic decision to launch a sustainable visual communication initiative to enhance our programming in this area, and the person hired for this inaugural position will have a major role in helping the PWC achieve this goal.
The successful candidate will develop workshops and short courses for faculty, graduate, and undergraduate students; consult with faculty and students on visual projects; and plan and oversee a symposium on visual and multimodal communication pedagogy in the second year of the appointment. The candidate also may teach 1-2 credit-bearing courses on visual and multimodal communication per year.
While the disciplinary specialization is open, scholars with interdisciplinary methodologies are strongly encouraged to apply. In order to contribute to courses and workshops for students and faculty from departments across the university, candidates must be intellectually curious about diverse displays of visual communication; comfortable discussing and representing both quantitative and qualitative research; and versatile in their pedagogical approaches.
- An MS, MA, or MFA awarded. A degree in visual or multimodal communication or a related discipline that strongly emphasizes one of these areas is required.
- Experience producing multi-modal scholarship, either one’s own scholarship or as part of a team
- Successful teaching experience
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with faculty and students
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills
- Commitment to developing programs in visual and multimodal communication
- Experience creating training materials for different academic audiences
- Experience visualizing research and designing figures
- Knowledge of visualization tools
- Experience with event planning
Please submit a (1) cover letter, (2) CV/resume, (3) teaching philosophy, (4) academic writing sample, and (5) portfolio of 4-5 examples of visuals/visual projects (9mb max), as well as two letters of reference. You will be asked to input contact information for two references, who will be contacted automatically upon application submission.
If you have questions, contact:
Elaine Chang, PWC Program Coordinator
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.