SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe extraordinary environments are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world. According to the 2016 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 6th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
SmithGroupJJR was named one of Southeast Michigan’s Top 100 Workplaces by the Detroit Free Press in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 and we are looking for a 7-15 years experienced Architect with healthcare planning experience for our downtown Detroit office. Our practices offer local, national and international projects of all sizes including opportunities with our other offices. We are seeking a talented individual who is committed to design excellence, who thrives in an environment of collaboration and who demonstrates a high degree of creativity and entrepreneurial spirit.
Working with us, you will:
- Prepare high level architectural concept plans, diagrams, and data visualization.
- Perform limited design assignments under general supervision.
- Independently evaluate, select and apply standard planning techniques, procedures and criteria using judgment for minor adaptations and modifications.
- Recommend procedures in planning matters.
- Work from plans/designs of others to compile data and perform design computations
- Assist in writing specifications.
- Visit construction sites to gather information.
- Receives instruction on specific assignment objectives and independently provides solutions for these objectives.
- Support more senior planners and architects on large projects.
- Be willing and able to contribute to architectural health thought leadership in discussions, presentations and white papers.
An ideal candidate has:
- 7-15 years’ experience with professional degree in Architecture, with experience in planning for Health and/or Science & Technology projects preferred.
- Veterans Administration project experience a plus.
- Knowledge of planning criteria – e.g. size of a typical Operating Room, Exam Rooms; adjacencies, etc.
- Architectural Registration preferred.
- LEED AP or LEED BD+C or LEED GA accreditation preferred.
- On-the-job experience using Revit to produce construction documents.
- High proficiency with graphic programs, such as Revit, AutoCAD, Sketch-up, Photoshop, Illustrator and In-Design programs.
- Ability to travel 20-40%
SmithGroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 7 or 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Interested in joining us? Get started today by visiting our website at www.smithgroupjjr.com. Be sure to fill in the required information, and submit your cover letter, resume and samples of design work as attachments. Please include salary requirements in your cover letter.